Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Message in a Bottle- Drink Me.....

It's no secret that there has been a ridiculous amount of snow in NJ this winter. More than I can remember in several years, and enough to drive a woman to drink. Yes, that's right I said it.
Out loud.
In public.
Right here.
 
There is really only one way to handle multiple snow storms: comfort food and beverages. And lots of baking. So.... I've got wings, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and everything I need to make cookies, ice cream and whatever else my kids dream up. I've got a bunch of books on my kindle, and of course several others in print for reading. And, if the power stays on, and the Xbox doesn't go out, I'll make it through the next couple of days.
Thankfully, the people at The Wine Chateau have us parents covered. I received a shipment just after Christmas of three wines. In the spirit of post-holiday recovery, I saved them and did what I could to fit back into my clothes.
And let's just say that I'm glad I did because with a week's worth of snow, I'm gonna need them.
Happy New Year to Me!
With the first week of snow in January, we dove into the first bottle, but I still have two more left. That one was a Foley Estate Santa Rita 2011. I love a Pinot and this one was delicious. The longer the bottle was open, the more the wine opened up and presented truly balanced flavors. The fruit of currants and the spice of licorice made it perfect to accompany a spice rubbed flank steak on a cold winter night.

I've got two bottles to go and two snow storms on the way. So, while I'm not a typically a wine reviewer (book and food, sure, but not usually wine) I'm looking forward to sharing the next two bottles-- The Louis M. Martini and the Cakebread-- with anyone else who's looking to get creative during the never-ending winter.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you can make Mommy slushies : one scoop of fresh snow + a glass of wine poured on top. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not send a real message in a bottle filled with tropical sun, palm trees, tickle your toes sand, and warmth, via the us postal seas.
    http://bit.ly/1dxHUgh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you. No harm in drinking occasionally!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!