Thursday, August 1, 2013

Letters From Camp- The Kick Off

Summer is busy when you have kids.
I think we'll go berry picking soon!
 
 
It's a different kind of busy compared to the school year but I'm thankful for two things:
 1) no homework and 2) all three kids can swim. *throwing confetti*
Oddly enough, I find I have even less time to talk to my parents and check in during the summer, which may or may not have something to do with constantly being surrounded by my kids. So, last summer I started writing them letters via this blog. It seemed like a good way to communicate and works well with my schedule. As I'm writing this, it's almost midnight, and I expect they are both sleeping. I should be too, come to think of it. Alas, let the letters begin, with all the things I would tell them if we had hours and hours to hang out and chat poolside.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm back and writing my letters from camp for the summer. It's phase II of summer- camp season. 2/3 of my kids are away, the rush of swim team season is over and I'm finding myself more anxious than ever to get to the mail box each day. Whether it's to receive a letter from the kids, or send one, my mornings revolve around my mailbox. Sure beats the lunchbox!
Once I'm past the mailbox, it's off to the bookshelf. I just finished Kimberly McCreight's novel, Reconstructing Amelia. Wow. As a lover or mysteries, this was incredible, right to the last page. Then, I got all teary- which I rarely do when reading. As a mother, I couldn't stop thinking of all the times I've said to my own kids, "can we please talk about this later?" For Amelia and her mother, that was a terrible mistake. When everyone's back, I promise to not get so caught up in the rushing around.  So, that's one down on the bookshelf.
I'm on to Sheri Fink's Five Days at Memorial; one of the first non-fiction books I've read in a while. There was so much happening with hurricane Katrina I was unaware of that August. The book isn't officially out yet, I have an advance copy from Crown Publishing, but I promise to tell you more about it when I finish.
Everyone here has been talking about the heat. It hasn't bothered me too much beyond being annoying. Dad, this is the part where I thank you for never putting central air in our house and keeping the air conditioners off until it was 100 degrees at night for a whole week. :) I know how to deal.
That's all for now. I'll keep writing you letters, so keep an eye on your mailbox inbox.
Tracy

If you could write letters to someone during the summer, to whom would you write? Have you ever rushed to your mailbox looking for a letter?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mom. Please send cookies next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good to hear from you, dear-I will responding in more detail soon , but for now, of course ,the answer is " my children"
    the LRH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!