Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z- Zebra Ice Cream Cake


I needed a post for Z and well, this idea just hit me in the grocery store, along with about 20 items that mysteriously ended up in the shopping cart courtesy of my kids who were on vacation last week and sabotaged my cart  joined me at the store.
What I'm trying here is an ice cream version of the traditional Icebox Cake (see the back of the Nabisco Chocolate Wafers box) Typically, you layer whipped cream between wafers creating a cake that when sliced diagonally is both pretty and delicious. I'm simplifying here but if you're familiar with an ice box cake there's no need to write more.
What I did for the Zebra Ice Cream Cake was to layer the wafers with vanilla ice cream inside a spring form pan. The process is a little different from the traditional Icebox Cake, but with layers of chocolate cookie (which will soften while freezing) and vanilla I'm thinking I can't go wrong here. The best part? I can use any flavor of ice cream in the layers which just makes for so much fun! My experiment worked and  the photo above is the final version. My kids loved the cake and I think I've found my new summer dessert!!!!

Thanks to those of you who have joined me on my ice cream journey. I am not a food blogger, but I do love my ice cream! I'm looking forward to getting to the blogs I didn't have a chance to visit which is sadly, a lot. Happy April 30th and Z day!

8 comments:

  1. Now you've made me hungry! --But not for the dinner I'm preparing. Eek. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me with these yummy images!! Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cool idea! I love Ice Box cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, and I want it in my belly NOW. This would be perfect for a kid party with a theme of zebra or zoo party or even one of those cool hot pink/zebra pattern girl parties. love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling just looking at your alphabet in your archive listing for April. Delish!! Congrats on achieving the goal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ice cream posts have been so much fun to catch up on!

    I just nominated you for a Liebster blog award over at my blog. I wanted others to know how much I enjoyed finding you during the A-Z blogging challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks (and sounds) extremely tempting. I never knew ice cream could take on so many shapes before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tracy, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for your comment on my blog the other day. Hope summer's treating you great and you get lots of writing done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!