Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U- Using Berries

One of the best flavor enhancers for ice cream is fresh berries. Individual berries do carry their own unique flavors with them, so choose wisely. For example, I am not a fan of strawberry ice cream so it will not be one of the berries I include. Additionally, depending on the berry, one does have to be careful in the preparation. I've made a few mistakes over the past year, so I'll share some of what I've learned here.

Puree your berries!
Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and black berries are great when macerated. This process basically means softening them in sugar so they can be pureed and then added to ice cream. Cranberries, on the other hand, must be cooked. I tried soaking them in sugar to macerate- this totally did not work. They are also very tart so you will need sugar to sweeten them once cooked down.
Just say no to seeds!

Any fruit, whether macerated or cooked, should be pureed to be smooth. When it comes to cranberries, you will want to run them through a food mill to remove the skins. Trust me, learned that one the hard way too. Then, if you don't like seeds in your ice cream, run it through a sieve. A laborious process, I know, but totally worth it if the only thing you want to be crunching in your ice cream is chocolate chips, and not seeds. 


3 comments:

  1. You had me with ice cream and berries. Yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of berries, so flavourful I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great-no ice cream maker necessary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!