Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T- Thanksgiving Ice Cream


Rest assured, I'm not actually considering putting turkey, stuffing, and gravy into my ice cream maker. That would be gross. However... what is guaranteed to be on your Thanksgiving table, even if you don't eat it? That's right: Cranberry Sauce.
I'll be honest here. I'm not a big cranberry sauce fan. I like making my own, and actually even enjoy eating it too. But, that's a relatively new development in my life. Either way, this past Thanksgiving, as I was working my way through my cranberry sauce, which happens to include cinnamon and orange zest, I wondered: Can I make ice cream out of this?
The simple answer is yes. So, what I'm calling Thanksgiving Ice Cream is actually a Cranberry Orange Cinnamon Ice Cream. It's creamy, fresh and great to make in the fall and winter when fresh cranberries are readily available. It's not overly sweet and is amazing with hot fudge sauce, and yes, I'm speaking from experience here.

Thanksgiving Ice Cream

Cranberry Puree:
4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange extract or zest of one orange
Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Mash berries with a potato masher while still in the warm crock. (yields about 2 cups cranberry puree)
Add 1/3 cup light corn syrup and stir.
Process through a food mill (takes out the skin)
Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar to still warm cranberry puree.

Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups cranberry puree

What's Next:
Place sugar in a large bowl and add milk and vanilla. Stir with a wire whisk until sugar is dissolved.
Add cranberry puree and stir to combine
Add heavy cream and combine well.
Pour into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and process for 30 minutes.
Place in smaller containers to freeze until solid.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy. Last week I got a recipe for pumpkin ice cream and now one for cranberries! I won't be buying store-bought ice cream for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the sweet goodness of it all!!
    thanksgiving ice cream? pumpkin! black & blue!
    i must try them all!

    thank you for the tempting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something I would love--I love cranberries, and usually bake and cook with them a dozen times over the holidays. How fun--Pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!