Thursday, April 18, 2013

P-Peppermint Ice Cream


I grew up with an ice cream store about 2 blocks from my house. It was a dairy farm when my mom was growing up and naturally, ice cream was a by-product. This is the place where I fell in love with Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream and learned the finer points of rainbow sprinkles and hot fudge.
I also learned about Peppermint Stick ice cream. Not the kind that only comes out once a year at Christmas, but the kind you can  have on a hot day in July. I loved the vanilla and crunchy bits of mint.
This year, I bought two sets of candy canes for my Christmas tree- one for decorating and one for, you guessed it, making ice cream. The funny thing is that the traditional red and white candy canes gave me pink Peppermint Ice Cream. The candy canes with a  swirl of chocolate in them (YUM- they are made by Hershey's) gave me a beige colored Peppermint ice cream. They looked completely different but both had that yummy vanilla based ice cream with a hint of mint and little bits of candy cane in them.
Candy canes with a swirl of chocolate


Peppermint Stick Ice Cream

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I’ve used 2% and that’s fine)
3 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup crushed candy canes (about 8 candy canes)*

What’s Next:
Place sugar in a large bowl and add milk.
Mix with a wire whisk until sugar dissolves.
Add vanilla and heavy cream. Whisk again until well combined.
Pour into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and turn machine on.
After about 25 minutes, add the candy canes and continue mixing for another 5 minutes.
Place ice cream in a larger container and freeze for at least another 2 hours to make it more solid.

*To crush candy canes, place them in a zippered plastic bag and use the bottom of a heavy drinking glass to crush them into small pieces. This is a great activity for kids!

6 comments:

  1. I can see how the candy-cane-crushing would be a lot of fun -- and not just for the kids! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on your picture, my princesses request this be renamed Pink Peppermint Ice Cream! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny that it came out pink! It looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how I miss Peppermint Stick Ice Cream; haven't had it in years!!! Have some for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't get me thinking about this delicious flavor of ice cream. It is so good. I love the little crunch sounds it makes while I chew. Numms

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!