Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I- Ice Cream Floats


I was introduced to Ice cream floats by my paternal grandmother. She lived in Connecticut and when she visited us she loved to take me and my sister out for lunch to Friendly's. It was at a Friendly's that I had my first  root beer float. Most kids would order a traditional root beer float with vanilla ice cream and root beer. Not me. The only ice cream flavor I ate for the first decade and a half of my life was Chocolate Chip Mint. That was it. So, when I ordered my float, I asked for it with Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream. I don't remember if the waitress looked at me funny or not (plenty of others have since then) but to me, there was nothing wrong with it.  The float arrived and I ate/drank the whole thing with no issue. I still make them and there are those who still think I'm nuts based on my flavor choices.

To that I say, pick the flavors you like and don't be afraid to experiment. Fruit and chocolate are delicious together. Why not try chocolate ice cream with black cherry soda? If you like the orange creamsicle popsicles, try vanilla ice cream with orange soda. Try vanilla with ginger ale. There are so many delicious options and so many specialty sodas out there that you can really have fun with it.

Do you like floats? Have you ever experimented with different flavors?

Tracy's Root Beer Float

2 scoops chocolate chip mint ice cream
1 bottle root beer (cold)

Place ice cream in a tall glass (10-12 ounce)
Pour soda on top. Let foam decrease. Add more soda.
Grab a spoon, and a straw, enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't had one of this in a looong time. I'd almost forgotten about them. I think I've only tried them with chocolate or vanilla ice cream, but mixing up the flavours sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved ice cream floats as a kid! I'm not a root beer fan, though. So I used 7up. Yup, with vanilla ice cream. :) Thanks for the journey down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny ... why have I only had these floats with vanilla ice cream? Never thought to branch out! ha. I'm gonna try it! I'm stopping in from the A to Z Challenge! Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only ever had one ice cream float in my life and I remember thinking that ice cream and fizzy pop was a very strange combination - I don't think they are as popular here in the UK.

    I think it was vanilla ice cream and cola... but it was probably a couple of decades ago now.

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to think of Mimi again....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like vanilla ice cream with any flavor of soda. Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Cherry Pepsi...basically if there is vanilla ice cream and any soda in the house it is made into a float. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of experimenting with flavour combinations. You've given me lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandfather used to make us rootbeer floats--he called them "black cows." I guess with chocolate chip mint, it would be a black and green cow?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!