Sunday, December 30, 2012

Like Everyone Else

If you look closely, you'll see a double rainbow
I'm in that recapping/reviewing mode and the reality is that January 2012 may as well have been January 2002. Yes, my brain is that fuzzy, but if I dig deep into the crevasses of my grey matter I know there were definitely some highlights, some low lights (really? can't I come up with anything better than that?), and moments that I know will carry me into 2013 and get me off to a good start.

This year, I learned to really appreciate the blogosphere, and found an amazing community of writers. Names I love seeing as commenters on my blog and posts from others that I look forward to reading. I learned the importance of having the "email" button on a blog-- if it's not in my inbox, I'm not reading it. With the hope that others behave the same, I put one on this blog and I have to believe it helped. The blogosphere also led me to my first experiences writing flash fiction and finding the best creative/writing partners in the world: Jen and Lauri!

I learned the value of discipline. In 2011, I participated in Tara Lazar's PiBoIdMo and well, failed. Miserably. I started 2012 by participating in Julie Hedlund's 12x12 in 12, and didn't make it past March. Another failed attempt at discipline. Then, April came and I jumped in with both feet for the A to Z Blogging Challenge and learned the value of balance between planning ahead and winging it (I'm a pantser by nature). This was a happy and successful place for me. I met tons of other bloggers, read some great posts, and really saw the value of the blogging community. In November 2012, I participated in PiBoIdMo again, and succeeded in coming up with 30+ ideas for picture books.

Throughout all of this, I started querying. Yes, the time consuming, daunting, and humbling process of sending our work out to be exposed and either accepted or rejected by the powers-that-be in the traditional publishing world. Twenty-something attempts, one nibble, and all rejections are where I ended up. I questioned my story, my writing, my methods, and the whole writing thing. But, alas, that's why God made Stephen King. Aside from being a huge fan of his, I will never forget that he was rejected over 30 times and eventually had to create a pseudonymn to be published. I'm not there yet, but more importantly I haven't given up either.

I tried something new this summer, Letters From Camp. Inspired by my own memories of writing letters to my parents during the summer, and finding myself busy with swim meets, camps and reading, I decided that writing letters to my parents might be a good way to fill them in on my summer. Thanks Mom, for always reading them and sharing your thoughts and memories.

Starting on January 1, I'm participating in Katia Raina's 31 Minute Challenge. I learned last April that I need goals and deadlines to go with them. I have goals, and for January I will have deadlines. January will be the start of daily writing time for me- whether it's writing, editing, blogging, or social media work- it all ties in and I can't wait. This is going to be my year.

Not that 2012 wasn't my year. For my day job, writing for MyVeronaNJ.com, it was a great year. I'm known over there for my Crock It! series, but I also cover day trips, new businesses and the occasional press release. February 2013 will mark the 3rd anniversary of Crock It! and with that comes both improved writing and photography as well as learning how to create my own recipes. I have taken all of that time and experience and put it into Cook It! Verona which also gave me some insight to the world of self publishing. You can flip through the pages below, and yes, the photographs are all mine. Did I mention that I have grown to love photography?

So, I fondly say goodbye to 2012, with graditude. It was a great year and I'm looking forward to more fabulousness in 2013. Happy New Year everyone!


8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good year. I started my blog this year and met lots of great people in the writing community. Definitely one of the highlights of my year!! Hope 2013 is even better for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great accomplishments for 2012... You should be very proud if yourself. I know I'm proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a busy year! The pictures in Cook It are scintillating. I'm so glad we found eachother and look forward to much critiquing and fatty coffee creations in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have been doing your Crock It! series for three years? That's a tremendous milestone. I know you are trying to find your way between food writing and children's writing. Have you ever considered writing about food for children? I'm thinking of Susanna Reich's "Minette's Feast." Plus so many publishers have "how to" books for kids about food, crafts, etc. Here's hoping you have a fabulous 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamara- Best of luck to you continuing on your blogging adventure in 2013.
    Peg- Thanks so much!
    Laurie- Thanks and me too! I miss our group
    Kirsten- great suggestions. Looks like I've got some planning and thinking to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2013. I love double rainbows. They are soopa special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you grew in 2012. I pray that 2013 holds only happy surprises for you and those you hold dear! :-) Thanks for visiting my blog as you do. It means a lot, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! If 2013 is half of your 2012 its gonna rock. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!