Monday, September 3, 2012

Ready For GUTGAA ???




Definitely!

I'm embarking on the GUTGAA (Gearing Up To Get An Agent) adventure courtesy of Deana Barnhart and while I've been writing, polishing, editing, and doing everything I can to get ready, I have to say I'm excited. I'm looking forward to meeting other authors, presenting my work and learning from a lot of people who know a lot more than I do!

Our task for the first week is to write a bio, and so here is mine:

Where do you write? Mostly my desk, but I've been known to write a few lines on the pad of paper I keep in my car while waiting at a red light.

Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see? My bookshelves.

Favorite time to write? Friday nights when the week winds down, the kids are occupied and words just flow.

Drink of choice while writing? Iced Tea, water, or Diet Dr. Pepper

When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence? Silence, but I have been known to put my ipod on to drown out the background noise of the television.

What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it? Kathy Temean has a Free Fall Friday and First Page Picture prompt on her blog. The August illustration was so beautiful that even though I didn't make it to the final four to be critiqued by an editor, the winning pages, and the illustration, inspired me to keep going. So I did. Now, I have another ms to work on.

What's your most valuable writing tip? Write down your ideas whenever and wherever possible. Great ideas don't always come back.

23 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of GUTGAA. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too with music. Use it to drown out the kids or husband in the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL re: red light writing. I do this: repeat the best thought over and over, like a mantra, until I can write it down--and then hope the lesser, but still worthy, ideas can be retained and recorded also before the light goes green. :P I'm team silence, too. :) Loved getting to know a little more about you, my writerly friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I have bookshelves to my left, too. But I write in my bedroom with a laptop. Good to meet you! I'm your newest follower. Good luck in the contests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes! I like to listen to drowning out music, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to learn more about how you write, Tracy. Sorry I have been off the grid. Blame a car with no brakes that side-swiped me on my way to take out the trash! No romance to that injury!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice. I have a piece of paper next to my bed. Get an idea, jot it down, back to sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh, I love your writing space! *peeking over your shoulder* move a little to the left, I'm packing a bag to take over :) And yup, sometimes all you need is a picture to jump start the creativity :) Good luck in GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've learned to carry a small notebook in my purse all the time because of those instances when you have that great idea. Because I'll never remember otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely love your advice. I bought myself a really nice notebook that I carry around with me most of the time, to write down ideas or make notes for my current MS. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice writing space - your wall is a perfect, perfect colour! See you around GUTGAA, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lime green! I just moved into my study and I want to paint it but don't know what color. I might have to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you liked my zookeeping pics, and can I just say that you have the BEST WRITING SPACE EVER? That color... The bookshelves... Well done! It's perfectly perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for dropping by, and I love your office, especially the dark green walls. So beautiful...

    Happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your advice! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about a great idea for a story and convinced myself it was too good to forget. Nothing is too good to forget. I take notes now, too, or send myself voice mail if I don't have a pen handy. I love living in the future! Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tracy. I don't cook on Friday either! Great blog & love your writing space. Thanks for stopping by and nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness I love your office! Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Notes are soooo important. Too often I just expect myself to remember things, and days/weeks later, I'm scratching my head wondering what that genius idea had been.

    Thanks for visiting my blog! And congrats on being the first to acknowledge my Jurassic Park quote. ;) Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with your advice. It’s a HUGE bummer when you get a great idea and lose it… =/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the picture of your writing space. It looks so organized.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2012/09/deana-barnharts-gearing-up-to-get-agent.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your writing space is so nice! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tip! When I started making progress with writing I really think part of it was because I started carrying around a composition book everywhere I went so I could write down every little thought. And each time I started writing notes, they'd just keep coming out of me. Thanks for stopping by!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, visiting my fellow GUTGAA participants!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Tracy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I used to write at stoplights too when I had a long drive to work. Now I mostly write at my desk. When I really want to get inspired, I plug in the string of tiny Japanese lantern lights strong across my office ceiling.

    Yes! I always think I'll remember a good idea but if I don't write it down, it'll fade away like a dream.

    Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!