Sunday, September 2, 2012

Letters From Camp: Goodbye Summer...

Hello school!
Oh wait, I think I said that a little too quickly. Let me back up....

Dear Mom and Dad,

Summer's almost over and believe it or not this will be my last Letter From Camp. The kids are ready for school; everyone has tried on their new clothes, filled their backpacks with fresh notebooks, folders, pens, pencils, rulers, a protractor, and all sorts of other items.

The timing works out well because I'm participating in GUTGAA (Gearing Up To Get An Agent) for the next 6 weeks, courtesy of the fabulous Deanna Barnhart. I definitely need that school time to write, edit, revise, write some more and hop around the blogosphere.

My final "summer" writing project is courtesy of David Powers King who tagged me last week in the Be Inspired Meme. Yes, I had to look up the definition of a meme and despite my very fond memories of whipping out the dictionary at dinner to discuss the proper spelling, or definition, of a word I've moved on to the Kindle version of a dictionary which happens to be conveniently located on my phone. Anyway, this meme (n: and idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture) involves using a WIP (Work In Progress) and answering some questions. The piece I'm going to use I haven't even had a chance to tell you about yet, so much of this will be as new to you as it is to me, and that's because I've just started two new WIPs and I'm winging it, as I usually do.

Anyway, so I'm "it" and here goes:

What is the name of your book? FIRE PAINTERS

Where did the idea for your book come from? Child #3 who called the Power Rangers Fire Painters.

In what genre would you classify your book? It will be a children's chapter book. In my mind it started as a picture book, simple and straightforward, but once I started writing it, it was clear that this would be a bit more involved.

If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie version, who would they be? I really have no idea. Haven't gotten there yet.

Give us a one-sentence synopsis of your book: When a rainy-day wish made by sisters sitting in front of an enchanted fire turns the world gray, it takes the magic of the Fire Painters to return color to the world.

How long did it take you to write your book? Not done yet, but the first hour was pretty good! I'm hoping the rest flows pretty easily.

What other books within your genre would you compare it to? I have to be honest, I was focused on picture books for so long (based on my first three manuscripts) that I really have no idea.

Which authors inspired you to write this book? I've read some great books with the kids and I love the way Lenore Look and Gennifer Choldenko tell their stories. It made it fun to read with the kids. You know I'm a Stephen King freak, so he's my role model for character development and inspires me to write the best I can.

Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book: Well, I love a rainy day as much as the next person and every once in a while even a string of them would be great, and possibly very productive. But, to have no color in the world? What would it be like? How would people adjust? Would colors become legends and the subject of folklore and bedtime stories? While I don't have all of these answers yet, I can tell you I'm looking forward to creating them.

Until next summer.....
Love,
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. I like the title, Fire Painters. Too, I like the one line description. Good luck on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute how you came up with the idea for Fire Painters. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!