Friday, August 10, 2012

Letters From Camp: Heirloom Tomatoes


Dear Mom and Dad,
I'm not a food blogger, but as you both know, I love food. Eating as well as cooking and I know exactly where I got it from! Growing up a Jersey Girl, I remember summers of delicious Jersey beefsteak tomatoes. In the past few years, Heirloom Tomatoes have been making their way to more and more shelves and baskets at grocery stores and farmer's markets. I fell in love with their flavor and colors last summer, so this summer, I've been playing with them some more.
In honor of Fresh Produce Tuesday from the 2 Sisters 2 Cities blog, I'm sending you this recipe for Heirloom Tomatoes which is an adaptation from my mother in law's Ecuadorian Salsa. Dad, I know you love her ceviche (the salsa is the base for this) so if you can get heirloom tomatoes, I'd definitely try this one out!

Heirloom Tomato Ecuadorian Salsa (with Shrimp)

Ingredients:
1/2 of a red onion, sliced thin
sea salt or kosher salt
2 heirloom tomatoes chopped in large chunks
2 mini seedless cucumbers chopped small
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
juice of one lime and half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

What's Next:
Place sliced onion in a glass bowl.
Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of salt over onion. Fill to top with cold water.
Mix onion in salt water and let sit covered 6 hours or overnight. This dilutes the strength of the onion flavor, and adds salt flavor to the finished product.
Next, mix remaining ingredients together and add drained onions.
The longer it sits, the more the flavors blend. This is delicious on top of fish, or anything grilled. I added some cooked shrimp to it and ate it for lunch. YUM, and here's the picture:

Here's why I'm writing Letters From Camp to my parents.

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by because i'm also on the Dog Days Blog Tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!