Saturday, July 21, 2012

Blogcation Anyone?


It was unintentional, but it happened. I've been away from the blogosphere for a month. Not just posting and writing, but reading too. I have to say that I miss the blogosphere, but the days poolside, cheering for my kids in swim meets, backyard barbecues, painting rooms, and just sky-gazing have been quite enjoyable. And the time has passed all too fast. Before I know it, I'll be shopping for school supplies.
Apparently, my absence has been noticed by my mother. Yes, I'm busy- I have three kids to manage, entertain, and corral through the summer and I'm not exactly sitting on the couch eating ice cream all day. Her comment observation did get me thinking though.
As a kid, I attended sleep away camp. The only way to communicate with my parents was by mail. Yes, the old fashioned kind complete with paper, pen, and a stamp. Maybe writing letters would be a good way to communicate with my parents during the summer. I could write to them at night, when the kids are in bed and I'm not fielding questions about who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about.
And so, with that, I'm writing my version of Letters From Camp; what I would tell my parents about my summer if I had a rest hour each day to talk write to them. And if they're reading my blog, maybe they'll write me a letter too (hint M&D: in the comments section), just like they did 30 years ago.

If you had a mandatory "rest hour" each day, would you write letters? Who would you write to and what would you say?

4 comments:

  1. What a cool idea!!! Might have to jot that down as a writing prompt for another time!

    As for who I would write to and what I'd say, I'll keep that to myself :). If I were to do this, it would be a very personal endeavor.

    Can't wait to read your Letters from Camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always a big letter writer. When I lived in London for three years I wrote a ton of letters back home, especially to my sister and best friend. But that was back in the 80s. These days I have ONE friend I write to, at Christmas time, and that I get a letter from in return. I can't tell you how nice it is to get this annual missive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. The only problem is that my mother is shall we say EXTREMELY technology challenged. "Honey, how do I find your blog again?" (It's bookmarked in her browser, has been for three years.) The Swede runs out of patience helping her. But sometimes, when she's having an ON day (her mother had Alzheimers and died two years ago, at the age of 98. Mom is 70 and fit as a fiddle, just very forgetful...) she'll call me and talk about what I wrote. I like that. My summer sounds like your summer, and I've been totally sporadic as well. Kids are on day 3 of school, so I'm trying to settle into a nice routine for me which includes lots of blog visiting.
    I'll be back, new follower.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAccckkk...I was already a follower. How smart of me...sigh.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!