Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fifth Grade Was A Big Year

For both my FIRST FIGHT, and my FIRST KISS... Hey, there's a blog hop for that!

When I first saw this First Fight/First Kiss bloghop, launched by Danielle at Entertaining Interests and Jackie at Bouquet of Books, I was in! My reasoning? I remember both of these events well. Both happened in the same school year, but I can't remember which one came first, and apparently 5th grade was a big year for me.
Let's start with the first fight: 
By nature, I'm not a fighter, and I'm not confrontational. If anything, I've been called a "fixer." But, I clearly remember that somewhere around second grade all the other kids in my grade kept growing, and I didn't . Well, I did, but just not at the same pace. The teasing started shortly there after and there was plenty of teasing to be done. I was short (still am) and my last (maiden) name (MacDonald) gave people plenty of content for teasing. I'll start with the original: Small Fry, and it just went on from there. So, one day, in 5th grade, when Vinnie Roslyn walked up to me, hunched over and put his hands on his knees to meet me at eye level, I had had enough. I punched him in the nose (he was at eye level, remember?) and gave him a bloody nose. Guess who got in trouble and was reprimanded by the tallest, and only, male teacher in school? That's right, yours truly, but it was worth it. There was no more teasing about my size after that, and at one point kids started singing the old jingle from Wrangler jeans when I walked by. Anyone remember it? Here comes Wrangler Tracy, and she's one tough customer.... 
Ah, on to the first kiss:
So, now you know I was on the tougher side (I had to be) and I was also very much a Tomboy. So, after school when a bunch of us, girls and boys, would hang out with our bikes and play by the stream, there was one day that was very different. Tom G and I walked over to an old tree that had fallen and created a bridge over the stream. (We'd been friends for years, in fact there were a bunch of us, all extended neighborhood kids) We each sat astride the tree, closed eyes, and somehow made it to each other's lips for about .00005 seconds. It happened faster than a blink, but I remember being on a cloud that day as I walked ran home from school and came into the house with the biggest smile on my face. I'm not sure if I told my mom or not, but it was a great day.

PS- So, apparently we were supposed to be using something from a WIP for the blog hop. I didn't realize that. I think I'll blame it on end of school year craziness. Yup. That sounds good. Either way, I love both of these stories, so I'm not going to change them, but instead will relish in making a mistake being different.

11 comments:

  1. Yes! You whacked him in the nose. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! Sticking up for yourself like that! Love it.

    Thanks for participating in our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! The FIRST one to tell of real life memories! I love these.

    Glad you punch him, all girls should be able to sock it to a guy at least once in their lives.

    Oh the first kiss. Mine was behind a book shelf in the library. I was in the 3rd grade.

    Thanks for doing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Tracy! You were small but mighty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, sometimes the only way to stand up to a bully is to give them back what they are dishing out!

    I love your first kiss story, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for bopping that bully. I also got teased about my height. I kicked my main bully (guess where ^_~). He went down hard.

    As far as I can recall, my first kiss was at 19 to my partner of some eight years now. Your story's much sweeter than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no. They said real life experiences were welcome too, and these were great!

    P.S. I totally relate on the name-teasing thing. I was C.Hicken. The boys in elementary went so far as to string up a rubber chicken and give pledges to increase my torment. *sigh* It became a cool thing by high school, but geez, people can be mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Crystal, I feel like that was almost worse. Glad it became cool by high school, but yes, kids can be really mean.

      Delete
  8. I read the part above in pink where you thought the bloghop was only for WIP's... it was also for real life stories, too.
    So, see? You didn't misunderstand. It's all good. I enjoyed reading your post!
    Thanks for joining!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you shared those! I loved them both ;) Especially the part of punching Vinnie in the nose and the .00005 seconds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!