Sunday, May 6, 2012

Reflecting On The A to Z


It was a blog hop on steroids and I loved every minute of it. I'm both proud of myself for completing the challenge, at times it was more challenging than cooking dinner with 3 kids running around, and impressed I was able to come up with something for every letter of the alphabet. The challenge made for great writing  practice.
I found some great blogs, but also felt I missed out on finding many more that I know are there. It was more difficult to read than write, and I'm not really sure how to fix that. That little counter button that came out the third week helped a lot but I wish it had been available earlier in the challenge.
My favorite post was Peggy Eddleman's E is for Enabling Email.
One of my unexpected favorite sites is Civil War Horror
Another new favorite is Wine N Chat, this site is totally me.
I really LOVED Alex J. Cavanaugh's theme of giving back- very noble, we should all do that more.
My best personal experience was on Rach Writes, where Rachael Harrie gave flash fiction writing prompts for each day of the challenge, all based on a photo. It gave me an opportunity to practice writing flash fiction, which I discovered I love, and I was able to squeeze in two posts. Great experience.


Random observations:
 Being able to plan ahead helped a lot, which left fewer days of writing for that day, on that day.
Reading seemed to die down after the first week. Was it too much to keep up with or even try to hit 2000 blogs?
There seemed to be a general act of reciprocity- visiting back those who had been visited. As my Google Reader list is now quite long, I did leave comments, but only followed the blogs that I thought I'd want to continue to visit after the challenge was over.
I did notice some regular readers and so very much appreciate them!
My followers doubled from about 30+ to 60+ YAY and thank you to all!

I'm definitely in for next year and now after a week's respite, am looking forward to hitting those many, many blogs I missed in April.

9 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I found a few new blogs to follow. Somehow I've missed getting your posts, but have re-subscribed. Sounds like A to Z was a great experience for you. I'm one of those who found myself dropping off after the beginning. My comment total was small for the month and will be a factor in whether I will participate next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for doubling followers! That's awesome! And my google reader exploded too, but I got to create some fun new folders for all my buddies, and I get excited over silly stuff like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You survived, but it sounds like you learned a great deal. I would think it would be exhilerating to finish, or a let down after establishing such a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reflection is a good thing, You have done a great job on the A to Z Challenge...
    Hopefully you were able to use one of my banners/badges for the Challenge, had as much fun designing them as seeing them around the blog world.

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    My New Book:
    Retro-Zombie: Art and Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too feel a little sorry that I didn't get around to al the blogs... but I guess we got all year to do it now. Congratulations on surviving the Challenge! Hugs to you!

    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation on finishing the challenge. I didn't visit all blogs during the challenge but, cross my heart, I'm visiting every single one with reflections post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "A blog hop on steroids" is a good way to put it. The month goes by so fast and crazy that it's difficult to know what's happening. And even now that it's over I'm still trying to let the dust settle.

    Thanks for joining us for the April Challenge.


    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good time. It's such a crazy month, but it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations of completion of the A-Z Challenge!

    Glad you had a great time!

    Enjoyed reading your reflections post!


    http://betty-alark.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-type-of-character-are-youhanging.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!