Friday, April 27, 2012

X Is For Oxtail Soup


In preparing my posts, I figured the letter X would be a challenge. How many X-related things are out there with the prominent letter being X? Not many. But then, I started re-reading Like water for Chocolate and was reminded of the Oxtail Soup story. Oxtails wouldn’t exist without the letter X, so here is my X-ness.
In this story, which takes place in Mexico, Oxtail Soup is a cure all. Being very American, I had never had this dish, but was intrigued by it from the first time I read the book, about 20 years ago. Re-reading it this past February, I did my best to follow the recipe aspect of that chapter to come up with a way to make this cure-all. As I usually do, I tweaked what I was able to come up with and made the dish, allowing for some 2012 conveniences. The recipe I came up with is here and for my first time making a dish based on a story, it wasn’t too bad, but I honestly don'n know that I would make it again.

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to check out your recipe.

    (Love that book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with your topic. This dish sounds too complicated for me, not to mention that I'd leave out the main ingredient because I choose not to eat red meat. So what am I left with? Hehe. Veg pot. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping in from the A to Z Challenge to say hello! I've never tried this before. Not sure I'm going to start but thanks for the post. Its interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call me picky, but not too keen on this tail soup idea, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great X and the soup looks yummy!

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Congratulations on finishing the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!