Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U Is For Understanding My Mother

My mother always saw herself as the Little Red Hen

To know my mother is to, well, know my mother. She doesn't hold much back and has plenty to say. But to really understand my mother, all you have to do is listen to some of her favorite sayings. My sister and I grew up listening to her mantras and while they did get repetitive, the message certainly came across. Here are my three favorites:
People died so that you could vote. My mother believes in freedom, and in this expression she's referring to the American Revolution. A war fought so that the American people could be free and were ultimately free to vote and make their own decisions. Needless to say, every year on election day, my sister and I vote and remind each other that people died so we could so that.
If you don't say it, you can't be quoted. I've used this on my own kids and expanded it to if you don't email it, text it, it can't be forwarded. This is a lesson we've all had to learn- the women in my family have big mouths- all of us. I still repeat this mantra to myself often.
You're never just a little pregnant. This is my favorite and the one that scared me to death as a teenager, and a young woman in my twenties. Let's just say that it worked well enough that I never had to approach her and tell her I was just a little pregnant.

My A to Z posts were themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. I hope you've enjoyed reading them!

13 comments:

  1. OMGosh. These are all perfect in their own way. Love them! It says something about a person's inner confidence when they're able to simply say what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was always telling us, "well if you're mad, you're just going to have to get glad again." I'll never forget it as long as I live. Just a little pregnant.. hahaha I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your mother's saying. If you don't mind, I'd love to use that on my kids. :)

      Delete
  3. Your mother sounds like a very wise woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last one is meant to scare, and is bound to succeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome sayings! I haven't heard the "If you don't say it, you can't be quoted" before, but I'm more a quiet person. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very much like my mother! I love the "People died so you could vote." quote. Absolutely loved it. If you don't mind, I'm going to use it as well from now on. Very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please go ahead and use it- she'd be thrilled!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I think I want to use those in the future!

    Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all good and there are some others that keep popping up in my memory, but in the spirit of keeping it short I haven't added them. :)
      Heading over to see you on the A to Z- thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Love Ginny MacDonald well Kupper now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!