Sunday, April 22, 2012

S Is For Stephen King


He is the reason I read.
I started out with a reading deficit early on because I didn't learn to read until second grade. There are several reasons for this which in the spirit of brevity I will leave out. But, I was really far behind. As  result, I was always a slow reader, which made reading cumbersome.
As I got older and my sister blew through books, I was just not there, which is not to say that I didn't read, I did. I liked mysteries and read just about every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book in my mother's collection, which lived in my closet (along with a full set of World Book Encyclopedia) but I never felt a passion for reading. By the time I reached high school, I was reading only what was required, and nothing additional.
In my twenties I saw the book, It, by Stephen King. My mother had read a few of his books as had my best friend; I remember specifically Cujo and Pet Sematary being among them.  I was hooked! My interest in reading increased, and my speed of reading improved; as did my spelling. Going only from memory (and I'm sure I'm missing some), I continued on with The Tommyknockers, Needful Things, Pet Sematary, Thinner, Desperation, The Regulators, Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones, The Stand, The Green Mile, Cell, Duma Key, and now 11/22/63 is on my shelf waiting for me.

And so, thank you, Mr. King for making a reader out of me.

* this post was scheduled to go yesterday for S day, and while I had heard of Blogger issues with scheduled posts, had yet to encounter the problem myself, until yesterday.


My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I am now following your blog. I hope you will follow mine as well.

    So far I've only read two King books-Under the Dome and On Writing. I've seen many of the movies based on his stories and have enjoyed those. Eventually I'll read more since I have a number of unread King books in my house.

    Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challege.


    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    My main blog is Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar personal reading history. I started reading, b/c as the youngest I didn't understand the dinner table discussions, which were wholly centered on books and movies. I has to read to catch up. At first it was like trying to keep up with marathon runners and completely exhausted me. But soon I grew into a pace that I could be proud of.

    Thanks for the post. New follower.

    AtoZer!
    prose-spective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stephen King's words. They are image magick on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tracy!

    Nice to meet you and to follow your blog!

    I have always found, Stephen King to be a facinating personality and producer! I've enjoyed every one of his movies; haven't had the pleasure of reading any of his books. All these wonderful comments regarding his writing has peaked my curiosity!

    Look forward to seeing what your future post!

    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Stephen King. I can watch Shawshank over and over and over and NEVER get tired of it. The writing is that good.

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!