Friday, April 20, 2012

R Is For Reading

I love reading, but I haven't always (more on that in tomorrow's S post). It takes me away to another place, even if only for a few pages paragraphs before crashing out for the night. I always thought it was some kind of anomaly that I didn't like reading as a kid; so many people I knew loved it. So, I had a goal when it came to my own kids. My goal was to keep them interested in reading, and in order to do that they had to have the right books. My son was easy. He immediately took to the books in the classroom and never looked back. The challenge: getting him to move on to new books. My daughter, not so much. She wasn't into the books other kids were into in her class and as my first, I wasn't familiar with all that was out there. The best thing I did was to take her to the book store. We sat for about an hour perusing books. Once she found a series she loved, it was easy to keep her reading.
One thing I did go back to, that I wasn't expecting, was reading together. As my kids have gotten older, I've returned to reading with them. It's different this time; now we each read a chapter to the other and talk about the story. I've done this with each of my older children, and I believe they have benefited from two things. 1)  the additional one-on-one time together and 2) they've read books that no one else in their classes have read and that makes them special.

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I totally heart reading too...now. I wasn't a reader as a kid, but a movie buff. I guess a story is a story is a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know you are still reading to your kids even though they are older. I ALWAYS want to have read-aloud time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. To be truthful, it was difficult giving up my quiet time of having them read to themselves, but in the end totally worth it.

      Delete
  3. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the rest of the challenge...

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Donna. Heading to your blog now!
      Happy A to Zing

      Delete
  4. Some of the best moments of my day are the ones spent reading with my kids. :)

    Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talking about books is huge too! Found you on Blogging A to Z!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!