Friday, April 6, 2012

Perfect Picture Books: Otto The Book Bear

In honor of National Library Week (thanks Vivian!), I'm sharing Otto the Book Bear.


Title: Otto the Book Bear
Written and Illustrated by: Katie Clemenson
Publisher: Disney, Hyperion Books, 2011
Suitable for: Ages 3-7
Themes/Topics: Reading, moving, libraries, book characters coming to life
Opening: Otto was a book bear. He lived in a book on a shelf in a house... and he was happiest when children read his book.
Brief Synopsis: Otto comes to life from the pages of his book, but accidentally gets left behind when his family moves away. He goes on an adventure that eventually takes him to the library where he finds many other book friends and children who love to read.
Links to resources: I spent a decent amount of time looking for online resources, but I feel like I'm noticing a trend in newer books not having a lot of resources. Anyone else? In the mean time, I think I would ask kids to talk about how they would feel if they were left behind, like Otto was. I would also ask them what kind of book they would want to be inside of and I'm willing to bet I'd have very different answers between my 8 year old and my 4 year old.
Why I chose this book: This book was recommended to me by the children's librarian in our public library. It was was of many books in a stack I checked out that day. I love the idea of a bear coming to life outside of a book, and how important it is for him to be read by children. It's how he really feels love and I think that's awesome.

15 comments:

  1. I'll have to see if this one is at our library...I bet my son would love it!!

    Thanks for sharing ;)

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the cutest story, and I love stories about inanimate objects coming to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds sweet! I'm hoping our library has a copy! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really cute! I like the idea of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet. i too like the idea that he needs to be read and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book reminds me of the original book bear....Winne the Pooh! My boys love Milne's stories, and they each have their own Poohs who go on their own adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds lovely, and reminds me a little of The Velveteen Rabbit. I love the idea of book characters coming to life, because of course, in all the best stories, they seem to :) Thanks for adding this one to our list - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds sweet! Will have to see if it's available near me. Appreciate the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tracy I like your choice. Love the idea of a bear in a book needs to be read to feel loved. And, I like that he goes on and adventure in the library. Such a clever idea for a story. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Tracy, this sounds like a cute and sweet book. Like Susanna, I was also reminded a little bit of The Velveteen Rabbit but it also reminded me of Cornelia Funke's Inkheart with book characters coming to life. :) Thanks for sharing this and for including a few recommendations about its possible use in the classroom, despite the absence of readily-available links/resources.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a good one! I have a six-year-old who likes to read in both Spanish and English.
    @Christie: Corduroy is awesome! It's one of my son's favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Tracy! What a super book for PPBF...I love the idea of a bear who lives in the book and comes to life and get left behind and goes out and has adventures...kids will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is a must read. Love that cover. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!