Friday, April 20, 2012

Perfect Picture Books- Comets, Stars, the Moon and Mars

I'm happy to report that I actually made it through all of the PPB posts from last Friday, and I think I even read them all by Saturday morning. A major accomplishment for me and now I have quite the list for the library! This week, I'm going with space. We've had some warm clear nights recently, so it seemed appropriate. Enjoy!



Title: Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars
Written and Illustrated by: Douglas Florian
Publisher: Harcourt Inc., 2007
Suitable for: ages 4 and up
Themes/Topics: Poetry, science, astronomy
Opening: On a clear night you might try/ To gaze upon the starry sky./ A telescope or binoculars are/ Great aids to observe a star.
Brief Synopsis: Through beautiful rhyming poetry, this book covers the major and minor planets, the constellations, the galaxy, and a black hole. There is even a glossary
Links to resources: There is a poetry kit created by Douglas Florian here on the Harcourt website. The Skywalk app on the ipad is amazing to take outside, even on a cloudy night.
Why I chose this book: Aside from being educational, the rhyming makes learning about about stars.

11 comments:

  1. This is now on my list! Thanks Tracy!! I just finished writing a pb on planets and would love to check this out. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a very cool book I have not read enough with my kids. Need to take it out again.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I must get this for my kids! Poetry and space - the perfect combo for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Sounds like a great book. I love when authors can present nonfiction in a creative way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds great, Tracy! I love the idea of learning about astronomy in rhyme. And you're right about that Skywalk app - my dad has it and it's amazing! Thanks for sharing this book and activities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poety, planets, rhyme, astronomy.... what a great way to learn and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have a Mars-obsessed five-year-old who would love this. We are currently reading "Exploring Mars."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love astronomy! Looks like a beautiful picture book from the cover. And the rhyme definitely adds to the fun. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the cover. Sounds like it has all the winning combinations for a childrn's books. Great to learn through verse. Love your selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! seems the sky's the limit! There seems to be a theme running through a few this friday of moon, stars, clouds.... This is such a colourful book, kids will love this. Thanks Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!