Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O Is For Osso Buco




My Osso Buco is a lot like my chicken soup and my spaghetti sauce: a little different each time I make it. I won't say if that's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just my thing.
What I love about making this in my Crock Pot (the best Christmas present I have ever received!) is that I can start at 10 a.m. and dinner is ready whenever we are hungry. For my kids, that's somewhere around 5 (I have a snack cut-off time of 4:30) and for me, it's whenever my husband gets home from work. My Crock Pot keeps the dish warm without drying it out which is very beneficial in my house. 
Slow Cooker Osso Buco
Ingredients:
4 veal shanks
1 cup of flour
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 large onion cut in eighths
3 carrots cut in quarters lengthwise
2-3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2-3 cups chicken broth
1 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
Juice from ½ lemon
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 small can of diced tomatoes, drained
Italian Seasoning, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste
What’s Next:
  • Put flour, salt and pepper in a pie plate or shallow dish.
  • Coat veal shanks in flour-salt-pepper mixture. Set aside.
  • Warm olive oil in a Dutch oven or large wide pot.
  • Brown veal shanks in olive oil for 3-4 minutes per side. Place in slow cooker.
  • Next, saute onions, carrots, and garlic in Dutch oven, adding more oil if necessary. These should only be cooked for 5-7 minutes. The vegetables should be browned, but not too soft. Toward the end of cooking, add a generous amount of Italian seasoning. Transfer to slow cooker with veal shanks.
  • Add chicken broth to slow cooker, filling to about 2/3 of the way up to the sides of the veal shanks.
  • Add white wine, bay leaves, lemon juice and cover.
  • Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
  • About 30 minutes before cooking is done, add the parsley, diced tomatoes and lemon zest if desired.
My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. YUM! The last tim I ate this was last fall in Florence! Che buono!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delectable. I love my crock pot, too. will save this recipe to try with chicken. We don't like veal here, so we'll try it with something else. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delectable. I love my crock pot, too. will save this recipe to try with chicken. We don't like veal here, so we'll try it with something else. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my new friend, I am sooo making that!! Love my crock pot, too! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments. BTW, you can get help with homework, too! Visit Khanacademy.com. If it's good enough for Bill Gates, it good enough! And it's free :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!