Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J Is For Jumping Into The Blogosphere

It's really more like a blind leap of faith, a constant work in progress, an addiction, and even living in a separate world. Up until my jump here, I had made plenty of other jumps, but in many ways they were actually a bit easier.
Yes, this is me doing a back tuck a few weeks ago. A much less scary "jump"

Ski jumps: as a kid skiing, there was nothing like the rush of catching air and landing safely on two skis.
Tree jumping: growing up, we had a very tall pine tree in our back yard. I used to climb up to one branch..... and jump. Next round, same thing, but climb a little higher... and jump. I'd keep going until the branches seemed too thin and it hurt when landing.
Rappelling: harnessed to ropes and wearing a helmet, jumping backwards down a rock cliff was really fun.
Rap jumping: just like rappelling but face forward. This fun activity was accomplished in Australia and I'd do it all over again.
Bungee jumping: While traveling through New Zealand, we arrived at a beautiful spot for bungee jumping. Yes, I was with a group. No, no one wanted to go first, so I did.

All of these "jumps" were easier than jumping into the blogosphere. I had to teach myself what to do. I wrote for an audience of one for about two years and I didn't know how to really get to other blogs or how to market my own. While I've never had a problem sharing with others, here I have to remember my audience and not send the wrong message. Like many of you out there whose blogs I've visited, I started this to build my writing platform.
Was it worth it? Yes! What I've received since resurrecting my blog in the fall of 2011 is actual real live followers (THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I just hit 51), funny comments that have made me laugh out loud, lots of writing practice, and the opportunity to write in different genres; my favorite: Flash Fiction. So, while this has not been my easiest jump, it's certainly been a good one!

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I, for one, am glad you took that leap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really jump much. Makes me dizzy. And I have a history of knocking pictures down from someone else's apartment. Long story. I am, however, glad I took the virtual jump into the blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping into blogging was tough for me, too. I didn't really want to, but I kept hearing I "had" to in order to have a writer's platform. But I've really enjoyed it and met a lot of great people.

    I'm not great with heights, so I haven't done much of the jumping you described. Although I did do rappelling when I was in Australia, although they called in abseiling. It was awesome and terrifying!

    Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking that blind jump into the blogosphere was a tough one for me. It was only a few months ago, but the months leading up to it were many more. I had to remind myself that it didn't matter if anyone was reading, I was doing it for me. I am glad to have found so many amazing blogs because of the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jumping into the blogosphere was scary for me, too...this A to Z Challenge is forcing me to get "out there" and write more (I'm blogging on 2 blogs) and set some writing and publication goals. It's soooo neat to get comments and followers!

    I really like your blog and will be another follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!