Friday, April 6, 2012

F Is For Floats

I had my first Root Beer Float with my grandmother at a Friendly's some time in the late 70s. I loved eating with my grandmother; she was all about french fries, ice cream and as I learned, Floats. My grandmother was a diabetic, so while she wasn't supposed to eat foods with sugar, there were cases of birch beer and root beer and sugary cereals at her house when we visited, that were of course reserved for her grandchildren. She also loved root beer floats and was known for only having "just a sliver" of cake.
I don't remember if on that day I had a traditional Root Beer Float (vanilla ice cream and root beer) or if that was the day I incorporated my favorite ice cream flavor: Chocolate Chip Mint. But, while some people look at me strangely when I ask for it, a Root Beer Float with Chocolate Mint Chip ice cream is delicious. My creativity kicking in, I've also tried vanilla ice cream with fruit flavored sodas like pomegranate and cranberry (the GUS brand is great) and chocolate ice cream with Dr. Pepper. You can have lots of fun with floats, so if you're into them, try some new flavor combinations and let me know what you like!

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I love Root Beer floats ... but with boring old vanilla! Me and Snoopy. LOL. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Roland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used vanilla when I made this. Someone, who is the father of my children and shall remain nameless:) ) finished the mint chocolate chip. :)

      Delete
  2. I had my first root beer when I came over to the States to work at summer camp in Wisconsin in the 70s. We had nothing really like it in the UK, and as for floats! ... and malts! Wow! What an exotic place America was!
    Good to know there are still strange and exotic recipes being concocted.
    Something for the grown-ups... an italian recipe, white wine with lemon sorbet :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White wine with lemon sorbet??? I have to try that. I have some blood orange sorbet in my freezer. Maybe I can try that with red. I should never be given, or drink, white wine. Bad things happen. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I have never been fond of root beer but a nice coke float sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate chip mint ice cream--my favorite! I'll have to be brave one day and put it into a float :) The vanilla ice cream with pomegranate and cranberry sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A root beer float is my favorite ice cream treat! So much so that I usually avoid them or I'll take the 2 liter of root beer and the half gallon of vanilla ice cream and just consume the whole thing lol.

    Thank you for your comment on my post today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a float in years and years! Time to fix that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm drooling over your picture. I love the sherbet floats with sprite. I'll have to try your mint chocolate one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And suddenly, I'm really craving dessert! :)

    Happy A to Z! New follower here! *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not had a root beer float in many years. My mother used to make them for us when we were kids.


    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm! I so want a root beer float now! This totally took me back to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!