Thursday, April 5, 2012

E Is For Eggs

Eggs have had such a waxing and waning role in my life. I didn't really like them as a kid. Then I had a fried egg and was smitten with the delicious runny yolk-- perfect for dipping toast or bacon. While pregnant with my daughter I had a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich every day for 9 months (really 10, but that's a girl thing). Fast forward a couple of years, my son had an egg allergy. No more eggs. They weren't banned necessarily, but we didn't eat a lot of them either. He outgrew his egg allergy, but never really came to like them unless they were part of a cookie, pancake or brownie. Then I had one more son who, not surprisingly, also had an egg allergy. At 4, he's outgrown it, and actually likes eggs. So, we're back to lots of eggs in the house, and as this post is coming just before Easter, it feels appropriate to share that this is the first time in 10 years that I'll be dying actual, real, hard-boiled eggs with my kids for Easter. I've been waiting for a very long time to do this and am one excited Easter Bunny!

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to be able to dye real eggs this year. You'll kids will love it and I have a feeling you will too! Every childhood has to include dying real Easter eggs :) I can't wait until my little one is old enough to dye eggs. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun. They already have plans for next year!

      Delete
  2. I dyed eggs with 22 kindergartners on Friday...and next week we will have duck and chicken eggs in our incubator...I love spring!
    Happy A-Z April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- that's a lot of kids. I celebrated Easter today in my son's preschool class and hid 206 plastic eggs. They were so cute and so excited to find the eggs. It really was fun.

      Delete
  3. Perfect post for Easter. I like my eggs in brownies, cookies and pancakes too. I eat them outside also, but they are much sweeter in stuff :D

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Happy A to Z-ing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn- no doubt they are better in sweet stuff!

      Delete
  4. I think Easter is a fabulous time for kids. :) Happy Easter to you!


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! My kids are so excited for Easter, you would think it was Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Tracy: It's interesting about pregnancy. While I was pregnant with my second child I couldn't even smell an egg without getting sick. And not just the first three months. It lasted the entire journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen- I totally get that. When I was pregnant with my daughter, and didn't know it, I was in the middle of a week long cooking class. On "egg day" I almost vomited in class several times. That was a rough day. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm a fellow mommy blogger who happens to love writing (but I end up doing a lot more reading out loud to my 4 little ones).
    I'd be lost without eggs! It'd be harder for me than giving up gluten. Custard, omelets, german pancakes . . .
    Your blog is making me hungry!
    here's my a to z blog

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!