Monday, April 2, 2012

B Is For Blueberry Pie



Blueberry Pie. This was my dad's favorite, and I'm sure still is. As the baker in the family, he's moved on to other things like Lemon Meringue and complicated works of dessert I don't dare attempt.  I don’t consider myself a baker, mostly because I’m not very good at it. But, I can hold my own with a pie.
I've been disappointed so often in other people's pies, and by that I mean stores and restaurants, that a couple of summers ago I made it my business to get better at pie making. A year or so after that, I inherited my grandmother's pie plate. A plate that I'm almost afraid to use because it's irreplaceable, literally, and I've broken so many other things in my life.
Last summer in the spirit of winging it (see future post on 4/26) I started getting creative by adding spices not called for in a recipe and mixing fruits. Last fall, I added cranberries to an apple pie for Thanksgiving and I keep looking for rhubarb in the stores so I can play with that. Even in my winging it though, some things will remain the same when it comes to pies: about half of the time I don't make my own crust, and I will always and forever, without a doubt make a crumb topping. I just don't see the point in two crusts.

My A to Z posts are themed with food, parenting and life, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm... Blueberry pie sounds good right about now. Yes, at 9:00 in the morning, even after breakfast! I'm not an excellent baker, but I try following basic recipes. Maybe as I get older, I'll get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the one I linked to. Aside from the story behind the pie plate, the recipe is really easy. And,if I may say, there is NOTHING wrong with pie for breakfast. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of pie... but that looks so yummy, I want to eat the computer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't either for a long time. The crust just didn't do it for me, but I think I have come to appreciate all the flavor possibilities.

      Delete
  3. I love pie, but I have to admit blueberry is not one I like at all! Sorry! and it looks so good too.

    Now if it were apple, pumpkin or sweet potato then that would be different.

    Looking forward to all your posts this month!

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering! That looks and sounds SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite kind of pie!! I'm more a fan of the filling than the crust, too.

    Welcome to the Challenge!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!