Tuesday, March 13, 2012

St. Patrick's Day- My Favorite Memory

I've always loved St. Partick's Day.
Being of Irish descent, it was celebrated with Corned Beef and Cabbage for dinner and wearing something green. Yes, I actually looked for four leaf clovers in my backyard and do remember years of drawing clovers on my face to celebrate.
My favorite St. Patrick's Day memory?
I was working in New York City and my mom met me for dinner and a play. We went to a restaurant on Park Avenue South called Patria. It was brand new at the time and had an upscale latino menu. Afterwards, wearing my green, I met up with friends and proudly flashed my driver's license which displayed my name: Tracy MacDonald. What most people don't realize is that there are two different and distinct spellings for "this name" which happen indicate the country of origin. The way mine was/is spelled is actually the Scottish version (there is a story behind this which explains a lot but I'll save that for another time). The Irish version is: McDonald. Being in New York City on St. Patrick's Day, when everyone is Irish, it didn't matter how it was spelled, everyone assumed I was Irish, which I am, just not from that side of the family.
St. Patrick's Day now- My kids go to school, wearing green, all excited to see if the mischievous leprechaun wreaked havoc in the classroom and left any treats for the kids. I always make Corned Beef and Cabbage and I throw a drop of green food coloring into my Corona.
Happy St. Patrick's Day- may the wind always be at your back 
and may the road always rise up to meet you.


11 comments:

  1. I'm of Irish descent too, Tracy. I will cook a huge Saint Paddy's Day dinner on Saturday. Yum! I even named one of my boys Patrick and call him Paddy, which he hates the older he gets. Ha!

    I have the Irish blessing hanging in my bedroom. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy! I'm checking in on the Blog O'Hop. :) What a fun memory of your Irish heritage! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Nicole. I need to start reading the posts for the Blog O Hop as I will be spending Saturday giving my step sister a baby shower.

      Delete
  3. I too searched my backyards and fields for four leaf clovers and ate cabbage & potatoes on St. Patty's Day. I haven't done that in so long. Maybe I'll go get some green food coloring and celebrate a bit this year :) Thanks for sharing your memories with us Tracy.

    Also, I tagged you in the lucky 7 MEME on my blog if you like to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I'll hop over and check out the lucky 7 and yes, yes, yes- grab some green food coloring and make a corned beef and cabbage. I'll send you a link to one of my recipes from last year.

      Delete
  4. Your corona? As in your EYES?! That's interesting about the spelling of McDonald/MacDonald for Irish/Scottish. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun post! Happy St Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading your post, I have GOT to make corned beef and cabbage.

    Visiting from Mark's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! And that's interesting to know about the MacDonald name. Very cool. I'm even more impressed about the drop of green in the Corona! That's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to remember the green food coloring in a for next year, sounds perfect! Happy belated St. Patrick's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tracy,

    Thanks so much for O'hopping with us...so glad you're keeping the traditions alive for your kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!