Friday, March 23, 2012

Perfect Picture Books: The Sniffles For Bear

I've really come to look forward to Perfect Picture Book Fridays. My biggest challenge though is getting to read others' suggestions, which is a shame because I've picked up some great books from my fellow bloggers in the past. My goal for today: read through everyone's posts (before Monday), make a list, and then get myself to the library to get some new reading material. But I digress.
Today my selection is The Sniffles for Bear, by Bonny Becker. I was laughing out loud while reading this. Bears drama around his sickness is so genuine and the illustrations do such a great job of showing hie emotions that I just loved it and found it fun and funny to read.



Title: The Sniffles for Bear
Written by: Bonny Becker
Illustrated by: Kady MacDonald Denton
Publisher: Candlewick Press, 2011
Suitable for: Ages 3 to 8
Themes/Topics: Sickness, Friendship
Opening: Bear was sick, very, very, sick. His eyes were read. his snout was red. His throat was sore and gruffly. In fact, Bear was quite sure no one had ever been as sick as he.
Brief Synopsis: from the publisher: Certain that no one has even been as sick as he is, Bear resists Mouse's efforts to cheer him and cure his cold.
Links to resources/Activities: I would ask kids to describe how it feels to be sick and what helps to cheer them up. Is it a friend (like Mouse), or is it a parent, or a special food? I always like ice cream. :)
Why I chose this book: This book was a recommendation from our librarian and I'm so happy she suggested it. I was actually laughing reading it because it reminded me of my kids and how when they're sick they just feel miserable and are sure that they will never feel better and life is over. Of course Bear gets better in the end, but I love the way his friend Mouse does everything he can to help his friend.

22 comments:

  1. LOL, this would be a good one to read to some of my male friends when sick, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, you have no idea. There are plenty in my house who could use it too, lol!

      Delete
  2. Aww. Poor sick bear. I've been reading OLD BEAR AND HIS CUB by Olivier Dunrea with my 5-year old lately. The story's tone is similar to GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU. Old Bear ends up getting sick because he wasn't wearing a scarf, and Little Cub takes care of him. I may have to add that one as a future PPBF post on my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see this book for a future PPBF post. Every once in a while, if I'm sick, my youngest will say, "I hope you feel better Mommy." It's endearing and so sweet!

      Delete
  3. This looks so cute. Candlewick always publishes such amazing books, so I am sure this one is a winner. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick. As Joanna says, I have a husband I wouldn't mind handing this book too. Like how father and the little cub take care of each other. Wonderful book to teach compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the Bear and Mouse series. Bear is such a curmudgeon and drama queen, love it when he thinks he needs to make a will.
    If you haven't already read them, check out the first book "A Visitor for Bear", this one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out A Visitor for Bear. I do love the relationship that Bear and Mouse have. Mouse is totally me- cheering up others and in a good mood. Bear is... well, let's just say someone else in my house. :)

      Delete
  6. I want to read all of the books in this series. It sounds so cute! Thanks for adding it to the list so I can add it to mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't the book I was thinking of Tracy (I still can't remember what that one is called - in it the little bear gets sick and then he helps his grandpa when he gets the cold) but this one looks so good! I should probably keep it on hand for when my husband gets a man cold :) This book sounds really fun and is on a topic we don't have much on, so thank you so much for adding it to our list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. What is the common cold to us moms out there is also known as a man flu. A good book to have around for sure.

      Delete
  8. I love this book! And boy did we need it this winter with all the ailments going around preschool. As a side note, I read PPBF posts with the LA County Library site open, so I can put all the books on hold. I just picked up a 20-book haul this morning. And I think I want to read all the new books just as much as the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy...thank you for verbalizing the very problem I deal with every week...I so look forward to PPBF...and I love doing my post and reading all of the others...but 24 hours is NOT enough time in a day, is it?

    This is a great book, Tracy...my children were all pretty good patients...but bear kind of sounds like my husband. :) :)
    Thanks for a wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian- you're right. If I had an extra six hours in a day and a third arm, I'd be amazing and I think very productive. Trying to get to the others posts today- the books are so great.
      BTW- it's so funny how so many people have made reference to husbands with Bear, present company included. Must be a "guy" thing. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi there Tracy, I was reminded of a blog post I visited several months back - the blogger was asking about children's books that feature characters who are sick or at least trying to get better - this would have been a wonderful addition to the list that she was creating. I was actually reminded of A Sick Day for Amos McGee as I was reading through your review - and thought that they would have been good companion books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. I have a post all prepared for A Sick Day for Amos McGee for next week. The illustrations are just gorgeous and Amos has such great friends!

      Delete
  11. Sound like a funny book! Poor Bear - He needs some sympathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great. I've been lucky so far but kids will be ill at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great goal! Nice pick, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds fun for both children and parents. It's Sunday afternoon and I'm still reading PPBF. I love the list, because it really focuses our library list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stacy, I was finally getting to PPBF posts last night (Monday). Will try again to be "ahead" of the game this week, but at least I know I am not the only one who struggles to read the entries in a timely fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!