Friday, March 30, 2012

Perfect Picture Books: A Sick Day For Amos McGee

Last week I said I'd try to read all of the wonderful posts on Susanna's site sometime before the following Monday. Well, I'm here to report that, well, that just didn't happen. For those of you who said you were trying to do the same, I hope you fared better than I.
That said, I did manage to pass along the Lucky 7 MEME to 7 other writers. And, I did manage to type up a couple of my A to Z in April posts, although there are many to go, and I need to re-do A because I like my first idea better. Did I mention I was trying to plan ahead???
Anyway, on to Perfect Picture Books! This week's title is A Sick Day for Amos McGee. The story is an endearing one of friendship and the illustrations are amazing with so much detail it's incredible. Enjoy!


Title: A Sick Day for Amos McGee
Written by: Philip C. Stead
Illustrated by: Erin E. Stead
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press, 2010
Suitable for:
Themes/Topics: Sickness, Friendship
Opening: From the first page: Amos McGee was an early riser. Every morning when the alarm clock clanged, he swung his legs out of bed and swapped his pajamas for a fresh pressed uniform.
Brief Synopsis: Amos McGee is a zookeeper. Every day he tends to the animals in the zoo and plays individual games with each of them. One day, when Amos is too sick to go to work, his friends, the zoo animals, come to see him.
Links to resources/Activities: I would ask children what they would do to help Amos (or anyone) feel better if they were sick. I bet the answers could be pretty funny.
Why I chose this book: This book was recommended to me from our town children's librarian. The story is warm and the friendship is so heartfelt that it just pours through the pages. The illustrations are amazing and so detailed, especially the elephant. I love the way the animals give back to Amos and help him feel better.

21 comments:

  1. The illustrations in this book are awesome. I love that the animals come tovisit him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's such a great example of friendship and giving back.

      Delete
  2. We have this book, and it is brilliant. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friendship book is just what we need at this house. We adore books like this. What a fantastic cover too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just beautiful and I loved reading it and talking about all the little things that the animals do for Amos.

      Delete
  4. I love a story where the character that gives his all is shown friendship when he needs it, how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sets such a great example for kids. Do unto others.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this book! I was able to hear Erin and Philip speak at a seminar this fall. The wood block illustrations are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been amazing to see them speak. I want to check out their other book- the title (which of course escapes me) sounded very funny.

      Delete
  6. First, thanks for the tag in lucky 7 Meme. But I don't think I've written anything longer than 1,500 words. Hmmmmm. As for Amos McGee, this is such a lovely story, but I don't think I've shared it with my kids yet. I'll have to get it for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsten, that's ok. I chose page 7 rather than 77, but if your work is shorter, I'd pick line 77 or whatever fits. Can't wait to read your post!

      Delete
  7. Saw this book in B & N yesterday and bought it for my granddaughter. It is such a good book. All kids can identify.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just so in love with this beautiful book! I love the spread with the animals riding the bus. Each year at the end of the school-year, my kids gift a book to their classroom. Last year, my daughter picked this one to leave behind for the next year's first-graders. She was in love with it too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That image spread is awesome. I don't think there are even any words on the page, and truthfully, none are needed. I love when they're all piled on Amos' bed at the end to keep him company. They don't leave his side. So great!

      Delete
  9. I have heard so much about this book, will have to go read it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We adore this book. Erin Stead's artwork is so beautiful-picture book eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this story (and the cover). I've been sick all week, so I haven't been productive on many front. Good luck this week. While toddler refuses to sleep, I'm trying to make it through the list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this in a while but I did really like it. I'll have to read it again. I'm glad it's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just look at that elephant. I have to get that book!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are right, Tracy. This book certainly has wonderful illustrations. The cover speaks for itself. This book reminds me of Ralph Helfer's Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant that Ever Lived. It's quite a read, but I do recommend that you check it out. It has a similar touch on friendship, except the novel is based on a real elephant. In any case, it's always nice to read about stories that warms the heart. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!