Friday, March 16, 2012

Perfect Picture Books: Happy Hippo Angry Duck

Last week, I mentioned "another book" that we went back to the library to get. This is that book. Since m daughter was young, I've picked up a bunch of Sandra Boynton's board books over the years. Some have been memorized (The Going to Bed Book) some have been read in classrooms for Hispanic Heritage Month (Azul el Sombrero, Verde el Sombrero), and some have been played with so much there are marker lines through the pages (The ABC Book). Not all books receive this loving treatment from my kids, but when we find one we like, and read it over and over again, it gets memorized, carried around, spilled on, read in class, and loved; like the Velveteen Rabbit.
And so this week, I present you with Happy Hippo, Angry Duck.

Title: Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
Written and Illustrated by: Sandra Boynton
Publisher: Little Simon Books, 2011
Suitable for: Preschool and up
Themes/Topics: Feelings
Opening: From the first two pages: "Hello, little person! How are you today? Is your mood quite terrific or only okay? Are you happy as a hippo or angry as a duck?"
Brief Synopsis: This book explores moods of all kinds using the adorable animal illustrations of Sandra Boynton to create a message that is simple for the youngest of kids to understand.
Links to resources: I looked for resources but didn't find any online. However, the book is a resource in itself and provides a great platform for asking children: Are you happy as a hippo or angry as a duck? Are you amused or confused? Grumpy or contented?
Why I chose this book: As I said, Boynton's books have been in our house for many years, about 10, and each has found it's own place on our bookshelves. I like this one because I see it as a younger version of  When Sophie Gets Angry, She Gets Really, Really Angry which I had bought for my daughter, at an older age, to help her understand her own emotions. This book is very cute, but also helps the youngest of children  communicate their own moods which will lead to understanding moods and emotions as they get older.

18 comments:

  1. Sandra Boynton ROCKS! We have all of her books! Blue Hat Green Hat is the first book I ever read by myself! Great PPBF pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one yet. A moody book too!! I'll be looking for it, thanks Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra Boynton has excellent books for younger kids. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite Sandra Boynton book is Doggies. It's a counting book and uses lots of different dog barking sounds. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many of Sandra's books, but not this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I think I'll have to look for this one. (Plus, I'm a sucker for hippos, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great book to help kids identify and talk about different feelings, and as we all know, anything Boynton is brilliant :) Thank you for sharing this one, Tracy. I like having books about emotions and moods because they can be hard for kids to understand and deal with, in themselves and others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a Boynton fan, but don't know this one. I love the opening lines. Sounds a fabulous choice for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book to help kids share their feelings. I've never read a Boynton book. So, I've enjyed your sharing two books the last few weeks. Sounds like Boynton makes this a fun book. Great selection..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a Sandra Boynton book may well have been the first book I ever received when my oldest was born. Kids just find her hilarious. "Barnyard Dance" is one of our all-time favorites. My husband sings it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do enjoy her writing style. Opening lines sound fun. I think that the topic is moods. Along these lines my girls enjoy "Today I Feel Silly".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a fan of Sandra Boynton, she gets it right. This one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Sandra Boynton. Haven't seen this book before. Will definitely have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice and loved the opening line. Thanks for sharing, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tracy,
    I love books that show children it is ok to experience different feelings and moods! I haven't seen this one before...so thank you!

    A simple craft to do after reading this story might be to take a paper plate and color one side with a big smiley face...and the other side with a frowning face. Then you can play a game...asking questions like, "If someone told you that your picture was great, how would you feel?" "When you want to take a drink at the water fountain, but there is a long line and you have to wait, how do you feel?" And ask the child to hold up the face showing the smiling side or the frowning side.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tracy, I am glad to have been led to your site through the Perfect Picture Book Friday meme. This sounds like a good book to introduce emotions to young children - in addition to exploring metaphors! It's such a shame that there are no teacher resources for this book, it would have been a good book to get a feel of how the class is feeling or an exploration of individual students' moods and emotions. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love when such complicated things can be made so simple for even small children to understand. What a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am just now getting to read last week’s PPBF list along with this week’s list. I will have a doubly long list for the library this week.

    I know I will love this because Sandra Boynton is a genius!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!