Friday, March 9, 2012

Perfect Picture Books: The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man

Fridays seem to come faster and faster each week! Not that I'm complaining, I love Fridays. We all just veg out after a full week of homework, sports, and whatever activities come our way. Oh, and I don't cook on Fridays- even better.
But, Fridays also mean Perfect Picture Books from Susanna Hill. As I have done in the past, I'm picking a book strongly influenced by Z, my four year old. He's so good at this! So, after several visits to the bookstore, we finally bought the book, along with another of his favorites, but I'll save that one for next week. And so, I bring you: The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man.



Title: The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man
Written by: Michael Chabon

Illustrated by: Jake Parker
Published by Balzer +Bray, an imprint of Harper Collins, 2011
Suitable for: Ages 4-8
Theme/Topics:  Action, adventure, imagination
Overview/Synopsis: From the publisher: 
 Awesome Man can shoot positronic rays out of his eyeballs, fly as straight as an arrow, and hug mutant Jell-O! Even villains like Professor Von Evil and the Flaming Eyeball are no match for this caped crusader.  And yes, he does have a secret!

Activities: The only thing needed for an activity is imagination. The way this story reads, it follows the adventure of a child perfectly, right down to the restoring of energy for more battles, and the super secret home base.
Why I Chose This Book: Z and I were in the bookstore and the cover art was what did it. Z got the book from the shelf and we sat on the couch and started reading. Next trip to the bookstore, the same thing happened. Needless to say, we now own the book and have read it several times since Tuesday. One could say the book chose us.

24 comments:

  1. This book sounds "awesome" and perfect for my 5-year old son. I'm requesting it from my library right now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added this to my list for my son. He's into superhero's right now. Thanks so much for the share Tracy looks like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that this is kind of your son's choice for PPPF. That seems like the perfect recommendation to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review. sounds perfect for young boys. will have to recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need more books for boys! The cover would certainly grab any boys attention. Great review! Glad you added it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My five-year-old has been poring over the LEGO catalog and LEGO Club Jr. reading all about the new Marvel Superhero LEGOS. He is going to adore this book. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover got my attention. I love the dog on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why Z goes for this book! The synopsis has me sold :) I love the cartoon quality and the concept of a comic book for the 4-8 set. This looks very different from many other PBs and I'm very interested to take a look at it. Thanks so much for sharing this "awesome" title :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic retro comic style cover! The books that choose the reader are always the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why the cover art grabbed your eye. It grabbed mine, too. The book seems to have a ton of kid appeal. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is really AWESOME! Awesome Man is AWESOME too :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mutant Jello-O? Can't get more fun than that! I look forward to checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will definately look this one up for my nephews and have it ready for when they come over..... cool thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for the great comments! It is a great book for boys and half the fun is discovering Awesome Man's secret identity. Now, it's my turn to do some catching up and read everyone else's books for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great book, Tracy. Looks like great fun...kids love stories about superheroes. It's so important for them to have role models who epitomize the values we want to instill in them. :)

    As an activity, I'll bet kids would enjoy thinking of what kind of superhero they would like to be...and what powers they would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the story to my son tonight and he just loved pointing out the details of Awesome Man's mask and cape. I'll have to ask him tomorrow what kind of super hero he'd like to be.

      Delete
  16. Looks like a really fun book for boys. I'll have to keep this one in mind as my little guy gets older. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to make a list of middle grade super hero books. We're just now getting to the point where we have reached critical mass! This one looks fun for the younger guys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Tracy,

    Thanks for the awesome comments and for scheduling for the Blog O'hop :)

    Did you sign up via the Linky List on my page? (Will help others find you on Saturday :)

    Looking forward to reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Guess what? I was just in the process of writing up this book for a PPBF post and came across yours! Great minds think alike! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!