Friday, March 2, 2012

Perfect Picture Books And A Birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. SEUSS!
How great is it that today is both Perfect Picture Book Friday and Dr. Seuss' birthday? Ok, myabe it's just me and I've had a little too much coffee this morning. But, and I'm sure this is not an original idea, it just seemed appropriate to feature one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books today, Ten Apples Up On Top. I love the counting and the competition. Now I know where my kids get it from!
And so today, I present you with Ten Apples Up On Top. For other recommendations from some great people, go to Susanna Hill's blog for the complete list.


Title: Ten Apples Up On Top
Written and Illustrated by: Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)
Published by Random House, 1961
Suitable for: Children of all ages. :)
Theme/Topics:  Counting, consequences
Overview/Synopsis: From the publisher: 
A lion, a dog, and a tiger are having a contest--can they get ten apples piled up on top of their heads? You better believe it! This first counting book works as a teaching tool as well as a funny story.  
Activities: When my daughter was in preschool, it was Dr. Seuss' 100th birthday. I made cupcakes and decorated them with different numbers of apples on each. But... if you're looking for educational resources and activities, try these activites from A to Z Teacher Stuff.
Why I Chose This Book: It's a classic and I have actually had fun counting the apples and laughing with my kids over the funny things that happen when you try to pile 10 apples on your head. Oh, and today is Dr. Seuss' birthday!

30 comments:

  1. A GREAT choice for PPBF and Dr. Seuss' Birthday! I like this Dr. Seuss book too -he wrote so many great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did write so many books and I know there are some that I have yet to read.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one. As Erik said, he wrote SO MANY wonderful books, there are many of his I have yet to read, so thanks for introducing me to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, another Dr. Seuss favorite! I'm with you - it's totally awesome that his birthday landed on PPBF! I have such fond memories of reading Seuss after Seuss after Seuss with my kids, especially Mulberry Street, the two Cat In The Hats, Green Eggs and Ham, and One Fish, Two Fish...and of course The Grinch at xmas! Thanks for sharing one which I consider a little lesser known. Great addition to our list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this Seuss book. I just placed it on hold at the library. Of course, no Seuss books are on the shelves this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't much in the way of Seuss yesterday when we were there either. Enjoy it once you get it.

      Delete
  5. I had not heard of this book until your post. Thank you for introducing me to another Seuss delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing a Dr. Seus book that I haven't read! Sounds like a fun book for kids. Great choice today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rarity to find a Seuss book that we're not familiar with isn't it? He was so talented.

      Delete
  7. This is another Seuss book I'm not familiar with. Time to hit the library. Thanks Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really cute and you could have a lot of fun with kids trying to balance apples on their heads. :)

      Delete
  8. Thankyou Tracy for introducing us to another of his books. Very amusing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys are at the perfect age for counting books and they love anything funny. I admit, I haven't seen this Seuss book, but it will be on our library list next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've found some of Dr. Seuss' stories are too old for our toddler. While I enjoy the rhyme, some are just too wordy for him for now. When did you begin reading this one to your children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read this one to my kids when they were toddlers along with Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? Eventually they got too old for the books and that's when we moved on to books like Green Eggs and Ham. Now my youngest (4) likes the Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That books. Another favorite around the age of 3 was There's a Wocket in My Pocket. That was one of my favorites too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Tracy. I appreciate this feedback.

      Delete
  11. This is my fav Seuss book. We used to laugh and giggle while reading it. Yay for you that you posted about this particular book today. Great choice, Tracy! *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I deleted my comment, because I didn't think the first one went through so I made another one. Sheesh! My day has kinda went like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know those days! So glad you liked the book too Robyn- I thinks it's just so much fun!

      Delete
  14. Great book choice! Thanks for sharing a Dr. Seuss today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many Seuss books that I didn't know about! Thanks for the recommendation, I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been finding a bunch I didn't know about either. It's great. Maybe there should be a Seuss month~

      Delete
  16. A Seuss book I'd never even heard of? THE HORROR! Must go rectify that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How is it that I'm as old as I am, and I've never seen this book? Crazy! I heart Dr. Seuss.

    Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned about a bunch of books from Dr. Seuss I had not heard of before today as well. Between my own childhood and three kids I thought I knew them all, but alas, I need to make a trip to the library!

      Delete
  18. I had forgotten about this book! Thank you for the reminder, it's a fun and silly addition to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love counting books...and don't know this Dr. Seuss one...so thank you, Tracy, for selecting it for PPBF.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read many a Suess book, but I can't say I read that one. Better correct that ... for the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!