Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Missed You More Than I Thought Possible


It had only been a week since last seeing each other. We knew in advance the time would be spent apart and that it would be good for both of us. In the almost ten years we'd been together, we had never spent more than two days apart, and that only happened twice; well, three times if you count the first time, which I don't.

We had no communication during that week apart. No phone calls, no emails, no texting. The only handwritten letters were mine. I received none in return. There were no feelings of anger on my end; I knew my letters had been received and were appreciated.

Our individual weeks were busy. New things to do, new people to meet, summer weather to enjoy. We were looking forward to our reunion, but I had not expected the intensity with which it had occurred. We are both affectionate but not overbearing. Needy only on occasion. Tears filled my eyes; a rarity when it comes to my own children.

I held on to my daughter and she to me as if we hadn't seen each other in years. We broke apart and I held her face in my hands, kissed her cheek and just stayed there. Embracing her warm summer skin, feeling her hair in my eyes. Holding all of her so close to me and not wanting to let go. I breathed in and finally pulled away. A little. Then I held on some more.

Today, Valentine's Day is not about a romantic dinner for me and my husband (service and food are often compromised anyway) it's become more about my kids. Giving them a little treat in the morning when they wake up, maybe making their favorite meal, and of course addressing what will this year be about 75 individual class valentines. That said, when choosing to participate in the Valentine's Day Blog Hop, I knew going in that my content would be different from other entries, but I felt the story was worth sharing as an intense kiss can come in many forms.  Click on the link above or the picture to read all the fabulous entries for hop!

22 comments:

  1. What a great, tender scene! Thank you for sharing. I'm #52 on the op :-)
    Hope your VAlentine's night with your hubby is special <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I'm just starting to work my way through the entries. I spent the morning playing with chocolate in my kitchen in honor of the big day!

      Delete
  2. Touching scene! It pulled at my heart.
    (New follower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Tugged at me too when it happened and totally took me by surprise.

      Delete
  3. That's a different kind of kiss, but oh so sweet! I'm a new follower via the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Nancy. I need to read through the other entries and catch up. There are a lot of great scenes I've read so far!

      Delete
  4. So sweet! I love how different this is. Valentine's Day doesn't necessarily mean a significant other. It means the people you love. I don't have kids of my own yet, but I'm 27 and my dad still buys me a Valentine :) New follower *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, you're so right. Valentine's Day became more about my kids than it did a night of romance and flowers a long time ago. Besides, I'd rather get flowers on a day other than V-day. It means so much more. Love that your dad still gets you a valentine- that shows how strong the father-daughter bond it.

      Delete
  5. I love love love this! So sweet and precious. My daddy just sent me a Valentine text. (Go him! haha!) But I love that you focus on the parent/child relationship.

    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've won my vote for stepping out of the box. Great scene. I enjoyed it so much, I followed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I wasn't sure how readers would feel, but yes, love and kisses come in many forms. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh...The sweetest love of all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really sweet and meaningful. I love how you did your own thing and made it work. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww - This is great. Love that you chose to do something different, but probably more meaningful. I love the holidays even more now that I have kids. So much fun. Great entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooooo sweet! What a nice surprise. Nothing like a mother's love for her children. And now I'm blessed to know the immense love of a grandmother for her grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how sweet it this. Thanks for sharing Tracy!

    When you get a chance stop by my blog to pick up your Kreativ award :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, break my heart sweetness! That was awesome! The day I'm apart from my daughter, ugh, she's so attached to me I can't imagine having to be without her :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tracy, what a beautiful and touching story. Written artfully. I felt what you felt - I could also totally relate, and you brought a tear to my eye. Well done my friend.
    I love it!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!