Friday, February 24, 2012

Perfect Picture Books- Goodnight iPad

So, it's Perfect Picture Book Friday, and I was torn between two books. One is another body book and the other was this book, Goodnight iPad. I'll have to admit that as much as I do love technology (would be totally lost without it) we all get a little too addicted, at least in my family. But, I love what this book does. It presents reality in a parody and I actually laughed reading it to my kids. So, in the spirit of laughing at myself, and my own addiction to technology, I present you with Goodnight iPad.



Title: Goodnight iPad
Written and Illustrated by: Ann Droyd/ David Milgrim
Published by Blue Rider Press, 2011
Suitable for: Children and Adults
Theme/Topics:  Humor, bed time, technology
Overview/Synopsis: It's time to unplug and say good night.
Activities: Ask kids what things they can say good-night too. Would it just be electronics or toys too? Parents, grand parents, siblings, Legos?
Why I Chose This Book: A sucker for anything funny, I picked it up mostly as a joke. But as I read through it, laughing of course, it does represent where we are now and actually helped me get my kids into bed one night.

21 comments:

  1. I just saw this book at the Jet Propulsion Lab gift shop. I had to Google it to find out what it was all about. I'll have to pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I hadn't seen this book, but I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this, but haven't read it. I'll definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing this spoof mentioned. It would be interesting to read this and the original to a child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read both to my kids and I think I was laughing more than they were when we were reading it. Maybe it's a perfect picture book for me. :)

      Delete
  5. What a "keep up with the times" book. I love your selection. So many new challenges for parents. Sounds like a very funny book. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It is. It's one of those "I wish I had thought of that" books.

      Delete
  7. I heard about this one. Is it on the iPad or is it a paperbook? I fear my kiddo is already living in a techno filled world. I get a bit addicted too. Of course, my efforts to unplug, made me feel soooo behind this entire week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, this is an actual book- in hard cover. My kids live in a techno filled world too, but that's part of what makes this book so funny. I took them to lunch the other day, put the ipods in the middle of the table and we talked about their favorite books. It was a great way to unplug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like fun! I need to know -- is Ann Droyd really a person, or just a clever pun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann Droyd is a clever pun/pseudonym. The real author is David Milgrim.

      Delete
  10. Hi Tracy,
    Had never seen this...so thank you for bringing it to PPBF. :)
    When I first saw the cover, I was sure it was "Goodnight Moon"...can people do that...totally copy the whole look and flavor without getting into trouble?
    But if it encourages family time, getting to bed and unplugging...I guess that's all we can ask from a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, there are actually a couple of books in this "series" all based on Goodnight Moon. I would imagine that there was either some permission granted or it was different enough not to cause copyright issues.

      Delete
  11. I've seen the cover and was wary of a parody of such a classic as Goodnight, Moon, but after your review, I'll have to give it a try :) Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Laura. It's certainly worth trying, which is what I love about the library. :)

      Delete
  12. I think this is an awesome choice! It is really a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never heard of this book, but it looks like one I would like. Can't wait to find it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had heard of this book for a while. Wasn't sure, but I think I will have to check it out. Especially since my little one LOVE the iPad. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey,

    Thanks for the kind words - and for the removal of all word verification programs... at least here on Blogger, hee hee!

    PS... cool review.. .I hadn't heard of this one, but *love* the humor of the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My library doesn't have it yet :•) but, I will keep it on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!