Monday, January 16, 2012

There's A New Button On My Blog

And therefore a new challenge. Launched by Julie Hedlund this month, the 12 x 12 in 2012 is a great way for writers of children's books to communicate, brainstorm, and most importantly keep motivated.
In an earlier post, I wrote that I abstained from a Perfect Picture Book Day post to focus a bit on what my future holds. As I told a friend the other day, my writing seems to be the thing that fits around my being a mother, rather than the other way around. From what I've read, that seems to be the norm, rather than the exception.
I started writing almost four years ago, around six months after my youngest, and last, child was born. It started as a way to prove the nay-sayers, namely my father, wrong and show that it is possible to have three children and survive at the same time. Writing was my outlet and continues to be to this day. I felt I had something useful to say and share with other mothers, and who wouldn't want to read about that? While a manuscript was produced, that was really all that happened with it- good thing too because the writing isn't very good and scares me. It was my own writing so I can say that.
Since then though, I learned there was a need among moms, slow cooker recipes. So, I moved from being the one to prove the nay-sayers wrong to being a resource for the busy mom who needs an easy, and early, way to make dinner for her family. Crock It! was born and still lives on today, two years later.
I mentioned earlier that my writing revolves around my being a mother. Lucky for me too. My children are an inspiration and the main source of content for the children's book I've been working on for about three years. The upside? The more I write and the more my children grow and experience life, the more content I'm finding for future children's books. So, I'm taking on the 12x12in12 challenge. I've thought about this a lot, and in the spirit of remembering and striving to reach my own goals for the year, I'm going for it.

From Julie's blog:
12x12 in 12: Twelve complete picture book drafts. Twelve months.  2012.  Are you with me? Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write one picture book per month for each of the twelve months of 2012.  This means a first draft: beginning, middle, end.  NOT a submission-ready piece. 


If you're looking to participate in this challenge, and it's all on the honor system and between you and your pen, paper, computer, etc, you can register here. I did.

4 comments:

  1. Writing keeps me sane too, and I'm so glad to have you on board for the 12 x 12 challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! Glad to be aboard. Now to get writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the 12 x 12! I am so glad to be involved with it. Julie is awesome. Write on!!!!! Writing = saneness for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Robyn! Writing is saneness for me often too. Just wish I could either add more hours to the day or clone myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!