Friday, January 6, 2012

Taking Stock and Setting Goals

I stopped making New Year's Resolutions a long time ago; probably around the time I stopped trying to give things up for Lent (the way I saw it, once I had kids I had given up enough). To me, the NYR is an act of giving something up in the hopes of achieving something better. As a new mother, I struggled with giving up my sleep, my time, my career, and for anywhere from 10 to 18 months, three times over, my body.
All for a good cause, I know, but still. Having been raised to be a strong, independent young woman, what is given up for motherhood caught me way, way off guard. I've since come to terms with that, but on occasion remember too well that feeling of having given something up. I am therefore no longer in the habit of giving things up or resolving to not do something.
The beauty of being a mother is that there are now times when I feel nothing other than pride when my children accomplish a task, win an award, or succeed in any way possible. I also still have my "what if" moments and questions. No resentments, just questions. The "I was born to be a mom" mothers out there would probably take issue with this. Any therapist would say "it's totally normal and of course it's OK to feel that way." (Yes, this is coming from experience in case you are wondering).
So, here I am at the start of another New Year. Glad for the opportunity to have my health and have another year to live. Another year to plan. Another year to be proud of my children and their accomplishments.
This year, I am setting goals. Personal goals, family goals, and professional goals. In the spirit of really giving myself an opportunity to work on those goals so I can see them to their (hopeful) success I am passing on today's Perfect Picture Books series. I have a book in mind, but it will have to wait until next week. Today, is Mommy's day to take stock and set some goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!