Friday, January 20, 2012

Perfect Picture Books- What Makes A Rainbow

Today is Friday and that means Perfect Picture books from Susanna Hill. I have read so many great titles of books from other people sharing, it's really just amazing.
The book I chose for this week, I have to say, is one that I didn't choose. My now four-year old son chose it. Not because he said, "Mommy, this is the book you should include this week," but because since he received it for his birthday, just last week, he hasn't put it down. Both his older sister and brother have read it to him, and I read it to him three times yesterday afternoon. He loves it, and to me that is the sign of a perfect picture book.
Image courtesy of Amazon.com
Title: What Makes A Rainbow?
Written by: Betty Schwartz
Illustrated by: Dona Turner
Published by Piggy Toes Press, 2003
Suitable for: 12 months to any older sibling who can read to a younger one.
Theme/Topics: Rainbows, colors, field animals and insects
Overview/Synopsis: From the first page: Little Rabbit and his mother were sitting under a big, red flower petal. "Look!" said Little Rabbit. "It stopped raining." "Yes," said Mama Rabbit. "Soon we'll see a rainbow." The story continues to follow Little Rabbit's search for the colors of the rainbow, all with the help of animals and insects in the forest.
Activities: Look for rainbows (I always do with my kids after a storm). Have children arrange the colors of a rainbow, and then rearrange them. What do they like/dislike about it?
Why I chose this book: I chose it because there is something so simple, beautiful, and appealing about it that my son constantly wants it read to him. That's worth sharing with others.

19 comments:

  1. This book is one of the favorites in our house! It is a perfect story for PPBF! :) Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a SWEET book, indeed. And what better critics are there than our kids? Tell your four-year-old that he made an excellent choice for our list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erik! I'm thrilled to know it's a favorite in your house too!
    Renee- That little guy is one smart kid- I'll give him your message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review. Who doesn't like spotting rainbows or reading picture books about them?! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever seen this book, but it looks lovely - perhaps a good choice for my little granddaughter :) Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad we are including some super picture books for the really young. this one looks like a visual treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We LOVED this book when my kids were little. They were so fascinated by the strings that pull out for each color and then the big rainbow that pops up at the end. I'd forgotten all about this book, as we gave it away some time ago, but it is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better way of choosing a book, than letting your son pick his favorite new book. If he can't put it down, it must be a great story. Love rainbows and color. Like your activities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this book too! We also owned it when my boys were younger. Like Julie, I remember them loving to pull on those ribbons as we turned each page. Great choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this book looks and sounds so sweet! Thanks to your 4yo for the choice. It sounds like a delightful book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If my son hadn't received this book for his birthday, we wouldn't have known about it. Reading all of your comments and seeing how much others loved it too,I'm so glad it was a gift for him. The ribbons are awesome- very soft for little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing. (And thank you to your four-year-old. I hope he picks more books for us as time goes on!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Beth! He's quite the hit this week. I hope he doesn't let it go to his head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh now this book I know of.... and love. I love the colours and rainbows.
    That sure is one way of knowing you have the right book, when your son doesn't put it down.
    Lovely choice for PPBF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Diane. If memory serves, I saw some gorgeous rainbows in New Zealand. Yes, my little one has excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I need to point this one out to Hubby too. He was trying to arrange the crayons at a restaurant with my son. Looks like a fun combination of color and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you picked this book for the PPBF because it is one I had never seen. There is no greater praise for a book than having a child want to hear it again and again!

    I'm wondering what the format of the book is...sounds like it would be a wonderful board book for really little ones. I love the idea of the ribbons of different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vivian,
    It is a hardcover book, the size of a board book. I think it would be great for little hands to feel and play with the ribbons, and it wouldn't get too ruined by the "book chewing" that board books often receive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have this book at home. One of my kids' favorites when they were toddlers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!