Friday, January 27, 2012

Perfect Picture Books- All Aboard The Dinotrain

It's Friday and that means it's time for Perfect Picture Books, thanks to the amazing efforts of Susanna Hill. Earlier this week I finally took a trip to the library with both my son, the four year old who chose last week's book, and a list of books I've been wanting to read with him since this series started. The library only had two of them, but I'm hoping the others will arrive soon via inter-library loan. We had a great time, he and I, reading new books-some of which he asked to read over again. It's amazing how much young minds absorb! So, for this week I went back to our bookshelf and found a book that I loved reading as much as my kids enjoyed listening to it. I'm still hoping for the Dinoplane book to come out!


Title: All Aboard the Dinotrain
Written by: Deb Lund
Illustrated by: Howard Fine
Published by Harcourt, Inc., 2006
Suitable for: Preschool and up.
Theme/Topics: Dinosaurs, trains, accidents, recovery, fun
Overview/Synopsis: "They're loading up the dinotrain/ With coal and lumber, oil and grain/ And high above the whistle's chord,/ Ring dinoshouts of "All Aboard." This is the opening from the first page. As the dinosaurs, of several varying types board the train, it's clear each one his has own job, and all are looking forward to the ride. Amidst mishaps and challenges, the dinosaurs arrive safely at their destination and are already looking forward to the next adventure on the Dinoplane.
Activities: Have children name their favorite dinosaurs and make a train for them. Take toy dinosaurs and put them on their own train to follow the adventures of the Dinotrain. Ask children if they could be a dinosaur, whit kind would it be?
Why I Chose This Book: I picked this book up years ago on a whim while in the bookstore. It turned out to be an instant hit in my house with both of my boys. It was also one of my favorites to read once I mastered the meter of the rhyme, which is not difficult; I'm sure I was just tired.

17 comments:

  1. This looks real cute. I have a little preschooler that may enjoy this. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great boy book today. That's great. This boks sounds like so much fun. Great activity suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all. I need to get to reading the other suggestions- so many fabulous recommendations on Susanna's site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son would LOVE this. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. Dinosaurs and trains in ONE BOOK???!!! How awesome is that?! Must be the best book ever for boys under 5 :) Thanks so much for sharing. I'll have to look for this one, and I'm already anticipating Dinoplane as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great boy combo; dinosaurs AND trains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes- a great combo. There's a reason why it's been a favorite in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read this with my son, he used to be a dinosaur lover! Thanks for joining the Valentine's day bloghop! I look forward to reading your scene :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if the tv series Dinosaur Train came from this book. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope,
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to participating- the blog hop is a whole new thing for me. Let's hope the story comes out as well as is exists right now in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine,
    I have wondered the same thing about the Dinosaur Train show- which my son absolutely loves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! Dinosaurs and rhyme! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like my son's age category and a fun story. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurray...a book that encompasses all things most boys (and many girls) love! Sounds like a fun book that little ones will enjoy and want to hear over and over again.
    Love the activity suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I don't know where I've been that I didn't discover your kind words earlier, but I'm really touched, and I love that I've gotten to know some of you online. The dinobooks will be a dinothrillogy when DINOSOARING come out in June. Thank you for making my day. Make that my week...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!