Friday, December 16, 2011

Perfect Picture Books- The True Story of The 3 Little Pigs

I love this story and I ended up with this book totally by accident. The author, Jon Scieszka, came to my kids school for an author visit a few years ago. I had not heard of him, or his books, but of all the books I've bought from author visits, this is one of the best. Susanna, thanks for creating a way for me to share this with others!

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs.
Written by Jon Szieszka and illustrated by Lane Smith
Viking, 1989
Suitable for: Preschool and up (including Grandpa who loves to read it to the kids)
Themes/Topics: Retelling of a classic story.
Opening and Brief Synopsis: Everybody knows the story of the Three Little Pics. Or at least they think they do. But I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story. Imagine what it must have felt like to be the wolf who was only looking for a cup of sugar while sneezing his way through a cold.
Activities: Ask how it would feel to be misunderstood and then get in trouble for an "accident." Talk about the differences between this version and the one usually told.
Why I Chose This Book: I chose this book for two reasons. The first is that it's just plain funny. I loved hearing the story as told by A. Wolf and it really is even better listening to someone else read it. As a writer, I love it because the story was rejected by editors and agents so many times before it was accepted and published. Similar to one of my other favorite authors, Stephen King, it gives me hope.

11 comments:

  1. This was one of my daughter's favorite books when she was young! I think the kids just have fun with it and like playing the parts. I have given this book as a gift countless times over the years -- one that will remain a classic. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised when I found myself laughing out loud as the story was being told. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jon Sceiza (sp?)(oh, you know I mean the author). Every book I've read by him, I love. He is such a good author with such a unique take on the world. Thanks for this selection as I will find it in the library and read it. I think I will just have to spend more time there just reading rather than taking books out and taking them home to read. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! Also The Three Little Wolves And The Big Bad Pig - that was one of my son's favorites :) Glad to give you the chance to post it - thanks for joining in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that story, it really shows the wolf in a new light, bless him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i enjoyed this book very much too. when i reviewed this book, i had a librarian tell me that they used this book to teach POV when writing.

    i never thought of using it to teach about mis-understandings. great point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book too, and I also saw Jon at bookstore and bought a PILE of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when this book arrived in the library acquisitions department where I worked -- we all wanted to be the first to read it! I must re-read it now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this story as well!! I read it once or twice at my local library, it is absolutely hilarious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate the background info about the author visits at school. I always find it encouraging to hear about other writers and their rejections. Especially, the ones who get published.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of this book but I never read it, I think I will now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!