Friday, December 2, 2011

Perfect Picture Books- Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo


Boys love trains-or at least mine do. In Susann Hill's Perfect Picture Book series, this story was a must to include. It's been read so many times that it's been memorized by two children and part of the cover is missing. To me, that's the sign of a perfect picture book.



Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
Written by Kevin Lewis and illustrated by Daniel Kirk
Hyperion Books for Children, 1999
Suitable for: Preschool and up
Themes/Topics: Trains
Opening and Brief Synopsis: The daily activities of a train are very busy! Rolling over mountains, delivering freight, and finally coming to rest at the end of a long day, the rhyme and meter of this story keeps it going and fun to read.
Activities: Build your own train tracks over, under and around furniture and simple objects in your room. Can a track go over a pile of toys and under a bridge made of books?
Why I Chose This Book:  I bought this book on a whim one day in Barnes and Noble. My older son would spend hours building his own tracks and piling up trains to ride on them. It didn't take long for him to have this story memorized and read back to me at bedtime.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun!

    Yesterday in the bookstore, one of the staff came up to me in the kids' section and said, "I'm not letting people leave until I show them this book." It has a little train engine that winds up, and there are different pages for the different seasons, with a "track" that the engine runs on. It looked like such fun to play with! (I have no idea what the words of the book were, I was too busy watching the little engine go around and around.)

    I may be saying "chugga-chugga choo-choo" to myself for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love a train story - boy or girl? Hadn't heard of this one so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this book. Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for everyone's comments. It's so simple, but such fun and both of my boys loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title says it all! Sounds like a winner for all young boys and girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There can never be too many train books! Thanks for sharing this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't really got into trains at our house yet. This sounds like a great introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've read this one, sounds great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great book for young kids. I haven't heard of it. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!