Friday, December 23, 2011

Perfect Picture Books: 17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Anymore

It's time for Perfect Picture Books- a fabulous and resourceful, concept from Susanna Hill. This next book I chose because it's one of those books I don't think I will ever get rid of. It's honest, funny and fun to read. I like it for older kids because it (hopefully) won't give them any inspiration to try these silly activities. Or at least if they did, they would be old enough to understand that there are consequences for some behaviors.
Image courtesy of Amazon.com





17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Anymore
Written by: Jenny Offill
Illustrated By: Nancy Carpenter
Schwartz & Wade Books, 2007 
Fiction
Suitable For: Kindergarten and up
Theme/Topics: Mischief, Fun, Siblings
Opening and brief synopsis:  "I had an idea to staple my brother's hair to his pillow. I am not allowed to use the stapler anymore." The story continues with a variety of silly and mischievous activities that give insight to the mind of a grade school child. Ever wonder why kids do things? Here are some answers with fabulous perspective.
Activities:  Ask children what silly things they have done and if there were consequences? Have they ever thought of doing silly things and actually carried them out. Ask how they think it would feel to have their hair stapled to a pillow or walk home from school backwards.
Why I Like This Book: From the very first page, I was laughing out loud! I had the best time reading it to my kids- my daughter had received it as a gift from a friend. It's just plain funny and also offers a good platform for dialog with kids about doing (or not doing) silly things.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds REALLY fun! Of course, I think I'd be a little hesitant about sharing it with the wrong kid :) Some of them might get ideas! I can't wait to read what else besides the stapler was involved... :) Thanks so much for sharing, even after an 11 hour drive. You are a trooper! Have a wonderful holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I read the title, I knew I'd love the book! (Although I, too, hope it doesn't give kids any ideas... although kids are pretty good at coming up with ideas on their own. A friend said to me at work one day, "I never thought to tell my son before we went out, 'Be good for the sitter, and don't cut through the phone cord.'" Uh-oh...)

    I must find and read this book! I promise I'll behave afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanna, it is really fun! and yes- you have to make sure your audience is old enough to not get any ideas from the story.
    Elizabethanne, that's funny! I remember specifically not telling my own kids about cutting other people's hair just so they wouldn't get the idea. Funny thing- they did it anyway without any suggestive help from me!I think it's part of the genetic makeup of a child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the title of the book! It sounds really funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Erik- it really is great and filled with funny little activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man, a great concept. I am already imagining some of the 'logical' mischief described in this one. Hope you had a wonderful day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!