Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Dad, The Baker

Half and Half Bars

My dad is not really a baker, but while we were visiting with him for Christmas, I walked in the door to a Lemon Meringue Pie. He said that if he were younger, this would be his career.
Let's just say; I'm not surprised.
Growing up, I felt my grandmother was an amazing baker. She always said she wasn't but that her sister, Melva, was. I hadn't really understood that sentiment until recently.
I too, have decided that I am not a baker. Sure, I can make cookies and just about anything from a box, although I generally prefer not to except for cake mixes. I like knowing what goes into my food. Anyway, if you ask my kids, they would disagree with me- they think I'm a great baker. I think they will understand better when they are older.
Back to my dad. Growing up, he grilled and my mother cooked. At almost 70, I think my dad has found his true passion.
We arrived at his house on the 23rd of December and in addition to the Lemon Meringue Pie there were  three Plum Puddings(a long time tradition in our family), brownies, Half and Half bars and cookies. All of this after he had made a cake for the woman who works at the guard house in his neighborhood.
I'm happy for my dad. As a grandfather of 5 (with another one on the way via my stepsister) he's found a new passion in life. One that I'm happy to see has been passed down through the family (I think my grandmother would be happy if she could see this), and hopefully will be passed on even further through my own children. In the meantime, I'm happy to be the deisgnated taste-tester.


Millie MacDonald's Half and Half Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

What's Next:
Base:
Sift dry ingredients together.
Cream butter and sugars.
Add egg yolks and sifted dry ingredients. 
Add vanilla. Spread in pan and sprinkle with 1 pkg. choc. bits

Topping:
2 egg whites
2/3 cup superfine sugar
beat whites until stiff and slowly add sugar

Spread on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!