Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas is for Children

My mother used to say that Christmas was for children. As a child, I didn't really understand what that meant. As an adult, and after our first night up until 1am building and making things, I understood much better. As time went on and I became responsible for more shopping, more cooking and more children, I really got it. This Christmas though, I was able to appreciate both sides.
Yes, I was part of the hustle and bustle for the month following Thanksgiving, and in the two weeks before Christmas, really burning the candle at both ends. One friend mentioned casually in an email that he hadn't heard from me in a while. My response: "It's the week before Christmas. Really?!" And any other mother I saw was in the same boat; one roll of the eyes and we just knew.
But then today, I got to experience the fun part of Christmas; the "Christmas is for children" part. Since there wasn't much building and prep work on Christmas Eve, the building (of several varieties of Lego products) came on Christmas day. Guess who got to build? Me! Truth be told, I loved every minute of it. For me, building is fun and when you have a child anxiously awaiting the final product, and then actually playing with it, it's worth the hustle and bustle and running around. Today is a day to relax (I don't have to cook) and enjoy the Christmas that children enjoy. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!