Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Should parents pay a fine if their kid misbehaves in school? - Parental Guidance - Amber Watson-Tardiff - NJ.com

Should parents pay a fine if their kid misbehaves in school? - Parental Guidance - Amber Watson-Tardiff - NJ.com

Parents should definitely be held responsible for their child's behavior in school. I've often thought (and heard) that kids are better behaved in school than at home, so my question is this- if kids are so misbehaved in school, what are they like at home? I'll admit, I'm not a perfect parent, but I will only tolerate so much before implementing a heavier than usual hand with my kids. They need to learn respect from someone, somewhere and if it's not the parents, then where is it supposed to come from?

One parent commented in this article that she's too tired to deal with her kids. We're all tired. I've been tired for 7 years, but that doesn't mean that I get to "dump" my kids behavior on someone else. How can teachers be effective if they have to be the primary disciplinarian too? There needs to be order in a classroom for kids to learn and that has to start with promoting order in the home. There are days where the last thing I want to deal with is reinforcing the need for good behavior, but that's my job. Even if I were working outside the home all day, and not seeing my kids until 6pm, it's still my job to make sure that they are raised well.

In the end, my feeling is that if parents will only listen and take responsibility for their kids once hit "where it hurts" (like the checkbook) then so be it. Sometimes parents need a little discipline too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!