Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Things lost and broken

Today I broke a coffee mug. For the second time. Same mug- broken twice. It got me thinking.

There have been a few times in my life when items I have suddenly become lost or broken. This has happened in groups as well as with individual pieces. The first broken item of significance was a necklace given to me by my high school boyfriend. This was a graduation gift and meant a lot to me. He was my first, and my first love. :) I was a year older and went off to college- something that I had been anxious to do for 8 months. Even with a wonderful new love life, it was time for a change.

I went off to school and it wasn't long before I had a new boyfriend. In the process of growing that relationship I broke the necklace that my first love had given me. At the time I saw it as a sign that something old was done and it was time to move on. So I did. I didn't even look back.
In the 20 years since that incident I don't know how many other things have broken or gotten lost. Certainly not enough to make note of what it might mean or symbolize in my life.

March, 2009. In the past 3 days I have lost two earrings, both from different pairs, and then today I broke the handle of a coffee mug. Again. The earrings I have worn several times in the many years I have had them and clearly never lost one before. One pair was from my dad, the other from my mom. The coffee mug was a gift from my mother. The first time the handle broke (by exactly the same method I might add) I glued it back together. It has since survived the dishwasher, microwave, and coffee almost every day. However, twice now it has NOT survived removal from the dishwasher while my 5 year old is trying to talk to me.

What this all means, I am not sure. Are my relationships with my parents changing as I get further into being a parent myself? Is the one repaired relationship doomed to be broken again? Should I just always wear earrings that have backs attached to them? Based on my first experience with something broken and the fact that these three things have happened in 3 days, I'm just waiting for what's coming next.

Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this? I know my mother has and we agree that these types of things usually mean something, but exactly what remains to be seen.

I don't expect to find the earrings I lost. I never even heard them fall. I have not glued the mug together again and I'm not sure I will. Am I testing fate? Am I just waiting for what's next? Have I just not gotten enough sleep lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE comments!